Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have the following problem. I have assembled the dapol kit, and actually bought the motorising kit for the set, but it is not to my satisfaction. ( Maybe a little hard for the beginner... ) Anyway, I can seem to remember there being an article in the Railway Modeller about how to convert a Tri-ang/Hornby Nellie Chassis to fit the Dapol City of Truro Body.
It is a great Loco, and as there are no RTR ones, I would really like this to work out.
(

Are there any kind souls out there that can help me ??

·
Registered
303 Posts
Frankly, I don't think that an outside framed 4-4-0 makes a good first model and you are unlikely to be satisfied with the result for the following reasons:

You need to fit new driving wheels such as Romfords with extended axles to pass through the outside frames.

Presumably you have got some brass wheel bearings to fit in the plastic inside frames. Frankly I would not attempt to build it without a new brass chassis. Then when you have a working chassis, if you get that far, you will find that the loco will not have much traction because it is not heavy enough so you will need more weight over the driving wheels. The front bogie will keep on derailing as well because you will not be able to keep it square and again it is desperately light.

If you want to build a first loco, it should be a simple 0-6-0 tank or tender engine. There are lots to choose from. I started with a bodyline J50 on a Hornby Dublo chassis and then, years later, I built the Craftsman A5.

Colombo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Far Lands,

I have a copy of the article from railway modeller on city of truro,

If you let me have your E-Mail address I'll E-Mail you a copy.

Wurzel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Far Lands,
Give it a go, mine was done as a Bulldog, similar engine smaller driving wheels, done as in Railway Modeller, mine was done with Romford wheels, extende axles, quartering the wheels was not a problem, the wheelbase of a 0-4-0 chassis is ok. I can't remember to much as we are talking about 20+ years ago. I will see if I can do some photos to email to you.
Bizerba

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there, I don't have the railway modeller magazine, so I was wondering if you could tell me the changes that need to be done to the City of Truro kit to make it a Bulldog? Only difference I can think of is different boiler (or at least smokebox), and smaller driving wheels.

Cheers, Rob

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry I live in the Fatherland and can not just pop in.......But thanx for the offer.
But I have managed to sort it out a little. But I am still having big problems, as the coupling rods do not fit !!
I will have to make some new ones. Perhaps the Branchline ones were a little faulty. Can anyone help me out here ??
What do I use to make new ones ?? Just a piece of Brass ?? Or even Steel ??
I'll take a few piccys and post them here......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts