Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

First of all Seasons Greetings to everybody

Please can anyone tell me when the 06 shunter was first built & when did it aquire BR blue livery.

Thanx
Paulo

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Happy Christmas to you all.
Paulo,
The Class 06 shunter was built by Barclays (the loco builder, NOT the bank :) ) in 1958 and were (pre TOPS) numbered D2410 and onwards, and were built for shunting work in small yards or areas with very tight curves such as dockyards. All were used in Scotland, the last examples being withdrawn in 1981. The earliest picture that I have been able to trace of a member in BR Blue is of D2423 (renumbered as 06006 under TOPS) in my Ian Allan combined and dates from 1973, although there may well have been earlier examples. You probably know this already, but Hornby produce a fairly basic RTR model numbered as 06003 in BR Blue.
Now, if only you had asked about WR diesel hydraulic motive power then I could have filled several pages! Anyway, I hope this helps.
All the best for 2009,
Greg H

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have a copy of a mag (offhand I can't remember which one, but it was recent) which states that D2434 (I think) was one of ten 06s that wore BR blue, it never had a TOPS number and was withdrawn 1969. One of the TOPS ten never received BR blue, can't remember which, but it was in the article, I'll have a search tonight and see what I can see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Hairyhandedfool

Did you manage to locate that mag regarding the 06 shunter, Im not having much luck finding any info on this class.

regards Paulo

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yes it was 06010 that wasn't blue and 06001 was green when given its TOPS number.

It was in Railways Illustrated a couple of months ago. It doesn't really give many dates as it was a general overview of the application of BR blue to every class, so I can't say when D2434 went blue, but it must have been between 1967 and 1969.

Sorry for late response, I couldn't see the thread for some reason, must be going blind!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for that the 1967-1969 dates tie in nicely with the layout im constructing this means I will be able to operate two different eras on the same layout.

Regards
Paulo

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
some years ago, I obtained one, 'new' for a couple of quids, shop-soiled, in the red and yellow/blue of Hornby's old toy train range.....same loco, different colours.

I did intend modifying to represent the 06.....it runs quite well, still.....even though it weighs little.....I wondered how much weight could be added, for traction and track-holding, without over-stressing the little can motor?

also....since the prototype 06 had a jackshaft drive..with the jackshaft conveniently hidden behind the cab steps.....has anybody tried removing the side rods, and soldering an extension on the 'cab' end?

this possibly doesn't even need to be attached to a moving jackshaft.....[no worse than Hornby's apparently acceptable lack of hinged motion on its 4 wheel steamers????].....since IF the steps were partially sheeted-in behind [health and safety??].....lack of whirling bits may not be noticed....

just a thought?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Alastair,

I seem to recall that some of the jackshaft shunters did have heavy mesh behind the steps.

Regards

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I know it's not a British steeple cab but will this feed your craving, even a little

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE wot? no siderods????

I've had a look at the original which is a lot larger but rather dark but it looks like it's got 3 axles with a coupling rod across all three and what looks like a driving rod attached to the axle at the leading end (in this photo).

Is that what you meant?

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 2 Feb 2009, 20:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>wot? no siderods????

I think David answered that, oh and welcome to the 1000+ club.

Regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts