Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Happy new year to all. I have just returned from Sydney tonight from a wonderful holiday with my wife. I had a big break from trains and the one thing I could do when I had a couple of hours was research on the lighting for the Hornby diesel 08 and a bachmann 66.

To be honest it had just about driven me mad as now I am more confused than ever before. I dont know whats is the correct prototypical lighting to use for both loco's.

Lets start with the 08. The Hornby Cosworth 08 comes with 4 dummy lights which I have converted to functional lighting. I have all 4 setup for red and white but currently unwired. If I wire all lights to be fully independent that will require 8 functions. No problem but a bit of a waste I think. So looking at the front of the loco (grill) what is correct for front and rear?

Same applies for the Bachmann "eddie the engine" what is correct here. Is the lighting correct that comes with the model? 1 of the large lights does not work as bachmann have not put in an led. Are they all lit for the night? Does the left hand rule apply?

I have asked this question before but it conflicts with some of the info I got over Christmas.

If you have links or can tell me that would be great.

m

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Welcome home Martin - and aHappy New Year to you. Drop in soon for a cuppa - I have something very interesting to show you!

The 66:

If its pre 2001 it will have the Wipac light clusters. Post 2001 it will have two large headlights and two joint marker/tail lights. 66538 was the first delivered with these new lights.

There are very many illustrations of the 66 in service on the web - you will have to decide which type you have and for in service light usage the photo's tell the story pretty well.

For a start you can look here... http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Recognitio...ic_Class66.html

The 08 lasted so very, very long again the WHEN and WHAT AREA are both going to be important.... otherwise you will get lots of conflicting advice and it will all be correct, but not necessarily for your loco!

For the 08 look here... http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Recognitio...ic_Class08.html

Richard

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Richard

Thanks very much for that. You hit the nail on the head there, location and year. Still in Brisbane, fly in to Perth Sunday afternoon quick pack for the mines and I will swing by.

m

1 - 3 of 3 Posts