Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to model railways and have just bought my first loco a network southeast class 08 by Bachmann, can anyone tell me what the holes in the buffer beams are for ? are there any detail bits available to fill these.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I got a Bachmann 08 recently but I have fitted any of the detail parts yet. There's usually a bag of bits in the box. Does this not have stuff for the holes - hose type stuff?

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, No there wasn't any other parts included, any idea what should be in the bag?
David.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE No there wasn't any other parts included, any idea what should be in the bag?

I've just checked. I think I've misled you. All that's in mine are some steps. I guess I am too used to the large quantities of stuff that comes with steam loco models. The fact that I concentrate on steam also means that I am not familiar with companies which do detail addons for diesels. The only "extra" I can point you at is the revised coupling rod and balance weight etching set available from Brassmasters

David

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you are referring to the upside down tee slots in the buffer beams, then these are the lifting points provided for lifting the loco during wheel/ motor changes in the fullsize loco. Strange as it might seem, until the Bachmann / Hornby models came along no one had ever modelled them before, even the etched chassis kits available at one time didn't have the lifting holes etched out which meant a lot of drilling, sawing and filing to get the buffer beams or plank correct.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Wayne, the reason for the slots and the angle they are at now makes sense, I have reference photos showing them but never knew what they were for.
David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts