Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Would like your opinions of the 08 shunters available from Hornby and Bachmann with regard to DCC conversion running qualities and appearance.

OO gauge and BR liveries.

Cheers Mike

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Personally I think the Hornby just takes the edge on appearance, I can't help with the running though as the one I won was traded in for a Bulleid Pacific as it was the wrong colour. (the 08 that is)

Regards

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I have a Bachmann because it's available in the colour I want - Black. I managed to squeeze in a Lenz Gold but had to wrap it in insulation tape which is not a recommended practice for Lenz Gold decoders. I have one of the new TCS direct plug in decoders on order and should have it tomorrow (Friday) and will report on how well it fits. In the longer term I plan to fit an ESU loksound but that's going to involve some surgery.

The hardest part was working out how to the body off. Eventually I discovered you only need to remove the tiny screw which is hidden under the rear coupling and then release a clip which is also at the rear. This is offset to one side and was relatively easy to release with my thumbnail; nail biters may need to find something else

David

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I fitted a TCS M1P-UK decoder into a Hornby 09 (same as the 08!). The decoder sits behind the front radiator panel.

I also have Bachmann 08s but mine are early issues without decoder sockets, so they will be hard wired jobs, probably using TCS M1 decoders as these are quite small yet very capable decoders that will fit into odd spaces.

I have several TCS DP2X-UK decoders and they are very convenient and easy to fit, but I'm not sure about the space for fitting into the Hornby 08 (did the MI type before the DP2X was available), so I'll be very interested in what you report regarding the Bacchy one, David.

For running qualities I would rate the Bachmann and Hornby ones equally as good as each other (both very good!). For appearance I thing the Hornby one has the edge, particularly at the front where it has separately fitted radiator slats. The Bachmann one is easier to dismantle, although my Hornby 09 has the extra high-level air pipes for the SR, which makes it even more awkward to take apart (jigsaw puzzles come to mind!!).

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 8 Jan 2009, 19:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Bachmann because it's available in the colour I want - Black. I managed to squeeze in a Lenz Gold but had to wrap it in insulation tape which is not a recommended practice for Lenz Gold decoders. I have one of the new TCS direct plug in decoders on order and should have it tomorrow (Friday) and will report on how well it fits. In the longer term I plan to fit an ESU loksound but that's going to involve some surgery.

The hardest part was working out how to the body off. Eventually I discovered you only need to remove the tiny screw which is hidden under the rear coupling and then release a clip which is also at the rear. This is offset to one side and was relatively easy to release with my thumbnail; nail biters may need to find something else

David

The Hornby 08/09 is a better model, and if you want to fit a decoder and sound , it is the only real alternitive,, the speaker will fit in the front beind the grill ( just cips off, and cut out the plastic behind ) and it has a socket for the connection, the BACHMAN version is short of room for this conversion

only problem is the the Hornby one is in short supply at the moment, ( in Blue/Green/Black ) I have 2 blue weathered ones and want 1 more, but difficult to find

rgds
Mike

·
In depth idiot
7,668 Posts
The mechanisms are virtual equivalents: decent size five pole motor, 40:1 reduction. With any good DCC decoder fine control is readily obtained, and both have ample space for DCC installation.

The Bachmann has the advantage of a sprung centre axle, makes pick up just that bit more positive which is an advantage in a short wheelbase type.

The Hornby has the better fine detail.

The Bachmann is much easier to work on. The entire cab slides up and off the rear of the bonnet giving complete access to that space, and making for an easy conversion to the class 13 slave unit. Adding weight is simpler (and necessary for both types if they have to haul full size trains on even moderate gradients). Also the two bonnet top panels to rear of the front panel with the exhaust are a clip in unit. This made it possible to load the body with lead, while being able to see and allow exactly enough space at the top to accomodate a Lenz Gold lying flat.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Here's a photo sequence of installing the TCS DP2X-UK decoder in a Bachmann class 08 shunter

First undo the screw buried under the rear coupling mount.
Then release the offset clip shown in this photo:

Now you can hinge the body back and release the front lug which clips under the front footplate

The decoder socket is at the front. I was a bit worried when I saw that the socket was offset

Here's a photo of the remarkably small but perfectly formed TCS DP2X-UK. The object on the right is the Bachmann coupling. I put it there as a size reference.

The decoder socket has a 1 marked on the circuit board and the TCS documentation has a diagram from which you can work out where pin one is. My interpretation ended up looking like the photo below. It looks like I need not have worried about the offset socket location.

A quick check on the programming track that the loco works followed by a change of address. Now the moment of truth; will the body go back on?

No problems with clearance for the body.

So long as you know how to get the body off, this has got to be one of the quickest conversions there is. The elapsed time between the first photo and the last was 9 minutes. It took longer to resize and upload the photos and then add them to this text

David

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks David

For the pictures of the decoder installation, very helpful.

And thanks to everyone else for their input.

Cheers Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts