Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do like the old Hornby/Triang Loco's. The Class 35 Hymek is one of my favorites.

Lots of damage to the body, especialy when I tried to dismantle, I like a challenge though !

So far I have got the motor Bogie in a reasonable working order, now to work on the body.

Wish me luck !!

So lets try to clean the plastic, I know that using caustic soda is maybe not the way to go, but as a cheap alternitive to Modelstrip or evan Brake Fluid, I thought I would give it a go.

The water is turning Blue ! That's good. is in not !

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback.
The paint removal was a success, I'm now working on repairing the body. The whole point of this project is to spend cash as little as I can, with the optimal outcome.

This may upset some people, but this loco is going to be re-painted with the colours of my favorite heavy haulage company, Sunter Bros.

I have "Artistic License", so I can do as I wish !

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (madon37s @ 28 Mar 2009, 08:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You most certainly can my friend, Go for it!

Have you got a picture of a real loco in "Sunter Bros" as I have never heard of them. Would like to see the livery.

Kind regards

Paul

Thanks for the advise on detailing & repairing.

To my knowledge Sunter Bros never had any Locos. The company merged with Wynn's in the late 70's then became Ecconfreight. Now the company is GCS Johnson.

I'm reviving the Sunter Bros company !

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (TheBufoon @ 28 Mar 2009, 12:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the advise on detailing & repairing.

To my knowledge Sunter Bros never had any Locos. The company merged with Wynn's in the late 70's then became Ecconfreight. Now the company is GCS Johnson.

I got it wrong, Sunters didn't become GCS Johnson, the fleet was sold off, ALE got some of the vehicles.

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Hi all, I have been reading all of your advise and got hold of two more Hymek's. I'm going to use a better body & thank's to SRman I'm going to make a twin motor & wire the pickups, maybee even pop a decoder in there.

Photos to follow.

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have started work this evening on the twin motor, I'm using two more Hymek's, increasing the cost to £23.00, never mind ! At least I have a better condition Bodyshell.

The process of cutting out the best of the chassis has gone very well, using a Rotary drill & a craft knife.

Final checks before mixing 5min expoy.......

Need a bit more trimming here...............

Now the hard part ! Before add the decoder I will get both the motors working in the same direction, hard wiring seems to make sence.

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks SRman. I was going to use a Hornby R8249, as this is the only spare decoder I have, would this be suitable ?

How do I find out which one to use ?

Thanks.

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The project has been shelved for a while............................waiting for the right decoder to come my way !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts