Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Here are a few pics of my fitting of the South Western Digital Class 40 Sound System,

Being lucky enough to have access to a machine shop gave me the chance to mount
the speaker out of the way, there is enough thickness in the chassis unit to be able to
mount the speaker below the fan level but far enough away to give a very good sound.
The 20 x 40 speaker makes such a difference to the system.

I will post more pics once I have fitted the Express Models light unit and a Video of it.

Pete

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>have access to a machine shop
So is the whole cavity milled out? It looks like two parts to me - an enclosure dropped through a hole in the chassis.

>to give a very good sound.

It's nice to see a 20x40mm speaker mounted within the width of OO scale body work. It gives me some hope for tender mounted speakers if the day ever arrives when there are LMS / LNER / BR Standard steam sounds available. I don't have any GWR locos otherwise I'd have tried the SWD.

David

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
CODEI'm currently starting to experiment with a Digitrax SFX064 and their programmer with the objective of producing genuine British sound. This is a new product and there isn't a great deal of documentation available currently. I have all the hardware for programming this decoder. Over the next few weeks I'll be trying to get some results from this combination.

Nice milling Job Pete. Tony's Train Exchange Digitrax Sound FX thought you might be interested in this.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The camera shake is down to me its not easy taking the vid and controlling the EZ Command at the same time.

Pete

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I'm well impressed. The trackwork and ballasting is very convincing too.

By one of those strange coincidences, our washing machine was going into a spin cycle while I was watching the second video and the sound matched the turbocharger whine very closely. I guess I could save some dosh if I could just put it in a van behind the loco. Tardis anyone?

David

·
Registered
334 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 28 May 2007, 23:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm well impressed. The trackwork and ballasting is very convincing too.

By one of those strange coincidences, our washing machine was going into a spin cycle while I was watching the second video and the sound matched the turbocharger whine very closely. I guess I could save some dosh if I could just put it in a van behind the loco. Tardis anyone?

David

Can you do a vid of the notching for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Nice fitting job and SWD have done a nice job on the sound as well it most certainly sounds like one I was just listening to.
Well done.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing that I have found with adding the sound decoder is that the class 40 model desperately need some more pickups on the remaining wheels that are at the back of each bogie and I may sort this out this weekend if I have time, I will post pictures of how I solve the problem.

Pete

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only have one 20 x 40 speaker fitted I only have a Bachmann EZ Command at the moment I don't think that can do that but I have a Hornby rolling road so I will see what I can do.

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts