Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the new class 9F from the Railroad range. If you are thinking of buying I suggest you be careful of the coupling rods as they are quite weakly attached to the body.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Has anyone seen the new class 9F from the Railroad range. If you are thinking of buying I suggest you be careful of the coupling rods as they are quite weakly attached to the body

I do hope that the coupling rods are NOT attached to the body in anyway at all!
(Retires behind wall)
Tony

·
In depth idiot
7,716 Posts
I converted a couple of the Hornby China production tender drive 9F's to loco drive, and they put in half a dozen years service, until superseded by the Bachmann model. The rods proved to be the one significant weakness, despite attention to lubrication of all joints: I have had to replace rivets in rod joints, a return crank, and three out of four motion brackets fell off the plastic bar which secures them to the chassis. I assume this last is what the OP refers to. No complaint about this, having modified these models I was quite happy to repair what arose. But it does suggest to me that unless Hornby have beefed up these components the same things are likely to arise on the new loco drive version.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am beginning to wonder whether iCharlie is for real. In the past few days we have had coupling rods stuck to the body and "those steam fender things". Is this a wind up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I am real, it's just because I am 12 yearsold and have only just started looking at model trains as a hobby. So yes I am real

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome Charlie. A great hobby. To get you started on the way, can I recommend Hornby Magazine see at the top of the forum pages. Its ideal for those starting up as well as those who like me are well in to their sunset years. Its monthly and worth every penny.

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
Hey Charlie, don't let us old wrinklies mess you up. Have fun - it's a great hobby if you don't take it to seriously !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts