Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Can anyone help me as I need to clean up my Hornby Dublo 3 rail track, this has been in the loft for about 30 years and now needs a little love and attention.

I have a Peco track rubber but that has only cleaned some of the track and I am struggling to find anyone that can sell me one or two, this rubber is about 20 or 30 years old so not even sure if they still exist.

I have tried the Hornby rubbers but they are not up to the job.

Also what do I do about the track itself do I was them or are they all going to rust?

I have seen track cleaners for 2 rail that would fit and may be ok but have no experience of them

All help appreciated.

Cheers

Powerscape

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Peco track-cleaning rubbers are still available, although not favoured by everyone. Any Peco dealer should have them or order by (e)mail.

I would suggest getting some Iso-Propyl Alcohol (sometimes refered to as 'IPA') - this is a cleaner much used in the electronic industry. Try it out on on one length of track first to make certain it does not remove the printed sleepers etc. (Use in a vell-ventilated area, no smoking or naked lights, wear kitchen gloves or disposable ones to keep it off your skin.)
It is relatively mild but will not encourage rusting of the track as washing in water might.
At a pinch ordinary Methalyted Spirits will do, but it's not as good as IPA.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
John Webb

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
The track is the weak point operationally for Dublo 3 rail. Unless the look of it is of vital importance to you, and particularly if reliable running is desired; if a permanent layout is part of your plans, think about moving to Peco (ideally streamline), with DIY centre rail from Peco parts. It is not difficult, and your Dublo will perform very well indeed, with better contact on nickel slver rails, and easier radius curves and points.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi there ....I too run a small Dublo 3rail layout to complement my 00 layout.
My track and locos spent some 40 years in a cool but dry loft, I cleaned up the track with gentle applications of WD40 followed by Switchcleaner [IPA] ....applied with a paintbrush ....although with hindsight,this was maybe not a sensible thing to do because as John says,some switchcleaners can remove paint [try it on one peice of track first] ....I got away with it.
The rail tops were OK after a rub with fine emery paper ....not something recommended for modern rails,but IME "Dublo" rails are made of sterner stuff.
RE 34C's advice .....I would have thought that the wheel flanges on your "Dublo" locos & stock would be too large for Peco Streamline track ....but I could be wrong.
That is one option I had'nt really thought about,however none of my Dublo stock will run on my 00 track [although most of my Dublo stock is still fitted with non-isolated wheels .....as I think the old tin-plate carriages & wagons add to the charm of a Dublo layout] ....Changing the wheels on your rolling stock would solve this problem and should prove simple enough,but I suspect changing your loco wheels would prove a little more difficult.

hth
Terry

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (TerryB @ 16 Feb 2009, 12:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.....The rail tops were OK after a rub with fine emery paper ....

'Wet and dry' paper anywhere between 600 to 1200 grit size is better than emery paper in my experience - easily obtained from Halfords and similar motoring shops.

I should have suggested the use of a pad of folded kitchen paper to gently apply the IPMS in my previous post, by the way.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice from you all it is much appreciated and will be put into practice this week.

Cheers

Powerscape

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just a comment about ISOPROPYL - ALCOHOL.

It is sold here in pharmacies 99% USP as a "Topical antiseptic and anti-bacterial agent".
I don't know how where it is sold in UK and for what uses.
The directions read.
Apply as required.Used as a solvent,antiseptic and as a basis for Isopropyl Alcohol rub.
Discontinue use if rash or irritation continues.
For external use only.Keep away from eyes or other mucous membranes.

Rubber gloves may not be needed but I advise safety glasses.
The HD track paint work is printed I believe so check ISP as others have mentioned.
Perhaps the wet fine emery cloth would be the best as has been mentioned.
I imagine that the rails would oxidise/rust over quickly in a damp atmosphere if abrasive methods are used.

I use ISP for many things like cleaning oily objects,motors,wheel tyres with cotton buds etc.
I have found it to be fairly inert.

I fill my Liliput BP oil tanker track cleaner wagons with cleaner soaker pads to generously wash down and clean track hauled by a loco.
One tanker pad deposits ISP and the second dry pad mops it up.Works well in hard to reach spots on layout.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts