Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I must say thats the way we think, all my trains, steam engines, clockwork toys are used almost every day and the only time they see a box is to get them to shows or rallys. I'm not saying box's are wrong or keeping them like new it's just not for me, I get all my fun playing and running things not looking at them safe in there boxs

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Thanks for sharing those pics Smokey, it really does look like you enjoy playing with your toys.

QUOTE (smokey @ 27 Aug 2008, 11:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I I'm not saying box's are wrong or keeping them like new it's just not for me, I get all my fun playing and running things not looking at them safe in there boxs

Now that I totally agree with.

Regards

· Administrator
10,744 Posts
QUOTE how many of us here started with trainsets like these question.gif question.gif question.gif
Me. It was my dad's. The engine was painted in LNER colours, there was no BR when he was a lad.

David

· Registered
61 Posts
Hi,
Inspired by your clockwork Hornby pictures I decided to take a look at some of my collection. It's a long time since these saw the light of day.
This was one of the last to run with my oldest grandsons. They were retired as the wheels kept falling off, Mazac problem and enthusiastic pushing from said children. I believe it is a Loco from set No 50 in Black 60199 with Tender c1954 BR crest etc. The other grandson used this Loco and fortunately retirement saved this from a fate worse than death.

Again not sure but believe this to be a Loco from set No 30 in Green 45746 with Tender c1956-65 BR crest etc.
There are a number of this era loco put away but I also rediscovered this one, the condition has nothing to do with grdsons but must have had an accident some years before i got it. I have stored it away as I do not need another diversion just at the moment but a shame to see the state it is in. The rear coal bunker is missing

There are a number of other wagons etc. I will post if anyone is interested in a few minutes nostalgia.

· Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 12 Oct 2008, 14:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I certainly am interested - thanks for the pics.
Hi,
Having opened yet another avenue of my hobbies I may need to bring one or two items out of retirement even if it's only to repair those most needy, like perhaps the GW loco with damage.
Here are a few more wagons this time.

This is a 13Ton 'Mineral' wagon from Set No 20 BR Grey lettered M210112 c1949-54 there apear to be more than one of these, perhaps they were a favourite for me way back when.

There were many variations of this Flat wagon issued. Most had "GAS CYLINDER" transfer on the load and the bands around the load painted black. By the time this one was issued the Tripple Gas Cylinder load Red c1949-54 was in this rather plain state so perhaps towards the later part of the 1950s.

The last time this trundled round a track it had a BICC drum attached with cords and a tension spring I can't even find the drum. Described as an 8Ton Flat wagon from Set No 1 (strange to number this as No.1 at this late stage in clockwork
) in Bauxite Brown No E35968 XP 6-8 c1956 again variations had a furniture load or a refrigerated meat load in white.

One of my favourites is this 10 Ton crane from Set No 50 in Red c1957 this is all original and can still lift things, perhaps a little under 10 tons but

Still lots more to go so I will post some as and when I am around.

· Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE (0-6-0ST @ 13 Oct 2008, 22:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,
Having opened yet another avenue of my hobbies I may need to bring one or two items out of retirement even if it's only to repair those most needy, like perhaps the GW loco with damage.
Here are a few more wagons this time.

This is a 13Ton 'Mineral' wagon from Set No 20 BR Grey lettered M210112 c1949-54 there apear to be more than one of these, perhaps they were a favourite for me way back when.

There were many variations of this Flat wagon issued. Most had "GAS CYLINDER" transfer on the load and the bands around the load painted black. By the time this one was issued the Tripple Gas Cylinder load Red c1949-54 was in this rather plain state so perhaps towards the later part of the 1950s.

The last time this trundled round a track it had a BICC drum attached with cords and a tension spring I can't even find the drum. Described as an 8Ton Flat wagon from Set No 1 (strange to number this as No.1 at this late stage in clockwork
) in Bauxite Brown No E35968 XP 6-8 c1956 again variations had a furniture load or a refrigerated meat load in white.

One of my favourites is this 10 Ton crane from Set No 50 in Red c1957 this is all original and can still lift things, perhaps a little under 10 tons but

Still lots more to go so I will post some as and when I am around.
Hi,
Here are a few more from the darkest corners of my loft.
A 20 Ton Brake van from set No. 50 in Bauxite Brown lettered M35745 I am not sure where this came from because I am can not remember it on any layout previously.

This is in very good condition and I know this had some play value because of the neat sliding doors at each side. A cattle wagon not too sure of the details of this set No. or era but has done many miles.

This looks like it has seen beter days, the mechanism is OK but I think we need a black smith look at the jib
The Crane is from Set No. 20 in Blue on a very simple Green flat body c1954 the buffers I think are 2A c1939

These are reproduction people from Steve Flowers so a bit of a cheat but to good to exclude

The more I look at these the more I am tempted to do something about the damaged ones or even run them, steady on.

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
QUOTE (0-6-0ST @ 17 Oct 2008, 16:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The more I look at these the more I am tempted to do something about the damaged ones or even run them, steady on.

And why not?

Regards

· Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 18 Oct 2008, 15:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And why not?

Regards
Hi,
Here are my last few, different, clockwork 'O' gauge wagons at least for the time being.
First one is a Petrol tank wagon ESSO in Silver about 1950 not sure what set(s) this was included in but another favourite.

Another Petrol tank wagon National Benzole in Silver lettered No 919 again not sure of the set it was from but about 1953

Next up a Tipper wagon this has a Rotary action so you can tip things to the side of the track instead of adding to the rail balast all the time
. This was from Set No50 labeled Trinidad Lake Asphalt for Roads and Roofs in Buff from about 1957

and last for the moment, a different action Tipper wagon, this one simply tipped over the side into a waiting truck
. In Green labeled Sir Robert McAlpine & Sons Ltd. Civil Engineering Contractors. There were a number of variations in colour for this wagon which was produced from about 1949 to 1954

I will post a question on the 'OO' gauge section with regard to the manual, weighted point lever operation on the 'O' points with a picture. I am interested in fitting something similar to a 'OO' layout.
Bye Neil

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.