Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who actually decides when a topic is to be closed?

Whilst someone arbitrarily decides there is no life left in a topic it is closed down. However, others may not feel the same way.

I have contributed to two topics and would have liked to have responded to the last posts, but have found the topics closed and therefore unable to do so.

An explanation would be appreciated please.

Bob

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Generally when a topic is closed, it is deemed to has run out of steam, or it seen to be going around in circles, or just causing certain members to argue and fight.

The topic should be closed off with an explanation - and if no satisfactory explanation is given then please send a PM to me so that I may get one from the moderator who closed the topic.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Closing a topic is not a decision that is taken lightly. Doug has explained some of the reasons and I would like to add a couple more.

1. Posts that describe opinion or assumptions as fact, that seem intent on making people take sides serve no purpose.

2. Posts that appear to be private conversations between members should be just that. The thread will start with a number of replys but will end up being limited to two or three members. This one is a little difficult.

3. Posts that take on a national or political bent also should not be tolerated. We all have this tendency and it is something we need to be cognizant of IF we want to make this forum more international in character. Some of us have had an unhappy experience with a slot car site that became overly strident making it seem that whole nations were not welcome.

4. Sometimes other members have asked me to close a topic. You may ask why I should do that because of just one member being upset. Well I guess to me one is too many.

I suspect that I am the person that closed the topic mentioned. A telling hint is what moderator posted last.
Closing a topic should not be taken as a slap on anyone's wrist and should be seen as simple act of moderation. It really means nothing more than wanting to keep the information flowing and is not meant to stifle opinion.

I would like nothing more than to discuss anyones concerns about any topic in private. I try not to make a big announcement on why I have closed a thread because I do not want it to be blown out of proportion or seeming to favor one side over the other. If this is in error I can alter that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts