Model Railway Forum banner

Club v Stand alone

7K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  neil_s_wood 
My experience with the local model railway club - most certainly not impressed.
After many years away from the hobby, but having retained all rail and rolling stock, decided to approach the local club for assistance.
My main point was to decide between an oval or a fiddle yard layout on the chosen size of board 8'x3.5'.
Having contacted the club's secretary by telephone and explaining that I was undecided as to which type of layout to construct.
Secretary, suggested it be best to come along to a club night, see for myself the various layouts built by the members and pick up some expert tips.
On the chosen club night, I presented myself to the secretary and was immediately told to have a look around, however the secretary went on to say all present including himself, were far to busy preparing next years exhibition entry to spend time with me. I must say, my visit was cut short and I never did visit the club again.

I might be accused of starting a trouble maker session - I only refer and have experienced the findings to exhibitions and club shows in the northern parts of Britain.
Personal experience has found that these shows in some cases resembles the local model railway clubs - cliques.
At one show in particular, I was interested as to how the layouts lorries, buses and cars were moving - politely I asked one of the layouts helpers, if he could kindly tell how it was done. After a moment or two, I realised that I was simply talking to myself, as no response to an answer was made by the person who I was speaking too. (Could it be, he was in the same position as myself).
Is it similar to railway clubs that exhibitors and helpers are far to occupied in running the layouts, or that the paying punters have no experience or enough expertise of running or building high quality layouts.

Another well worth a visit is the exhibition at the SECC in Glasgow on 24th, 25th and 26th of February 2006. Many layouts and a good turnout of suppliers of model railways accessories. If you are put off with large crowds, then visit the show on the Friday 24th.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.