Model Railway Forum banner

Club v Stand alone

7K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  neil_s_wood 
I think that time prevents me from joining my local club. It wouldn't be fair on Mrs spongebob if i went gallovanting off out one or two nights a week leaving her to babysit little sponge especially as she has him all day too. Distance isn't an issue as there are at least 2 different clubs within the Bradford area. There is of course the issue of finding out how little you know when faced with someone who has spent the last 30 odd years honing techniques and researching things. I suppose there is always the issue of if you get stuck with something there is always someone else who can lend a hand or get you motivated again when its all going Pete Tong.
I've been to the last couple of exhibitions held by my local club and they are currently working on a very large layout of Leicester South which had definitely made progress between visits, which is more than can be said for my layout. Their wwebsite is also pretty good as well giving photo's of the various layouts. If anyone is interested heres their website address....
http://www.mphgate.demon.co.uk/mrail/shipley.html

I am hoping to get there on Sunday at some point. I say hoping as now i have a 5 month old son and associated paraphenalia such as pushchair it can be a squeeze especially if as usual it is heaving with the usual crowd of people who are too busy looking through a crowd of bodies to see a layout(usually where bog all is happening) to shift out of the way in spite of several polite requests. Why do people carry rucksacks big enough to get an entire layout in?
If you are going to Harrogate be prepared for a difficult time finding the showground as they can't seem to be bothered with signs for it and be prepared for a queue in and out of the venue when you do.
As for finding this forum i happened across a reference to it in a reply on the hornby website.

You don't need the words model rail club to imply anorak in this game. Just mention to someone that you are into railway modelling and the implications are a cross between Dwayne Dibley and Roy Cropper. I get most of my ebay purchases posted to work so every time something shows up in the post it's whoo woo etc. They're only jealous 'cos my mail's more interesting than theirs.

All I willsay is look around you next time you go to an exhibition and you will see that possibly there are those who look the part so maybe the stick is partly deserved. As for train spotting I only take photo's if i'm at a station to catch a train anywayso wouldn't confess to travelling the length and breadth of Britain to "cop" a particular loco. Perhaps we should start having a pop at those sad gits who have fun sitting by a river for 8 hours trying to land a minnow. You think this is an expensive hobby, a clooeague spent £50 on lures and came out with around 10. He even confessed the other day that the last time he went he kept falling asleep and waking up as the rod made a plunge for the river. At least as a trainspotter you are more or less guaranteed to cop summat unless you are sat nest to a line that has been closed for repairs!!

I've just looked on the Bradford MRC website so now is a good time to plug their up coming exhibition this weekend(29-30th April). I may get there on Sunday depending on what 'er indoors has planned. Nice website too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.