Model Railway Forum banner

Club v Stand alone

7K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  neil_s_wood 
My local MRC, Melton Mowbray Model Railway Club, of which I've been a member for about two years has a bit of a "clique" to it like most but I managed to "get in" with some of the members as of the 12 members (myself and younger brother included in that 12) I already knew 3 of them and didn't know that they shared my love of model railways. I joined just as they lost the use of the room they used to meet in and were in the process of dismantling there club layout. So round the taking down and relocation I got to know the "politics" of the club. What we have is a "leader" who puts over a "this is a democracy" air but always gets his way because he has an n gauge exhibition layout, a lazy arse who is more interested in drinking bear than building a new layout and always sees a fault in whatever is being done but never has a solution but because of his long standing membership gets his way so we're packed up less than two hours after the start time. And the rest just go along with whatever is happening at the time, whether that's going along with the leader or packing up earlier than I'd like. The only reason I still go down is to get some of my collection out on realistic workings without looking silly and to maybe get the odd contact for use on my brothers layout. Like the supplier of plastic sheet I've just got who charges about the same for a 4'x2' sheet as the local model shop charges for an A4 sheet. Any way back to the club Vs alone, well I have to say that in the two years we've been members my brother and I have made about 10 times the progress on his layout with just the two of us than the club has on the club layout with 12 bodies going at it in about twice the length of time according to the calender, so I have to say unless you're lucky enough to find a club of people who share your interests you're probably better of just playing trains at home on you own layout.

Well now you know at least one club to avoid becoming a member of, that said anyone in the area who would like to join is more than welcome to join. I'm just dying go have some new blood to make feel uncomfortable and unwelcome!:lol: Only joking an influx of new blood that has the drive to help move things along would be great. In the meantime I'll just keep going down to see the lads most of whom are great guys just a little soft and unmotivated and you never know maybe we'll get the layout presentable before the majority of the membership dies and on that I'm not joking as most of them are retired or close to retirement. As for being brave about naming the club, that's one way of looking at it the other would be that it was a bit stupid. I'll find out Monday evening if it has any negative effects for me. Though none of them have mentioned this forum, or any other for that matter, and I haven't. Can't even remember how or where I found this place. On a different note, Anybody going to the BRM show at the weekend?

Well as I'm going on Sunday also Spongebob if I see somebody trying toget a look with a 5 month old baby in tow I'll happily let you through. It also makes me wonder what these people could possibly have in those giant outdoor pursuit type rucksacks, maybe they all have much more money than me to spend on their model obsession.

Hi Jeff, we, that's my brother Brian and I visited your 2004 exhibition and found the few club members we spoke to were very friendly and open. I forget their names but they did invite us along to see them on a club night but unfortunately we've not had the chance to make it up to you yet, but hopefully we will some time this year. As an aside to coming to see you, how does one get an invite to show a layout at your show? After the 2004 show we've decided that yours is one we'd like to do probably next year if that's possible

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.