Model Railway Forum banner

Club v Stand alone

7K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  neil_s_wood 
All clubs are very much "cliques" and it really needs a special person in that club to be able to nurture new members and help them to fit in. In the past I have been in many clubs from photography to cars and have always persisted in going back again and again, eventually being accepted as one of the gang. Many people can't do this and feel unwanted after their 1st visit and don't bother again. For some in clubs they can have a bullying attitude and this puts some people off. After contributing to many web forums I think that this is very prevalent in model railways. (Heads off incoming missiles from the few who do,.How dare I express such an opinion).
I like to get on with my own thing now and just stick my unwanted two pennorth into an odd reply now and again.(chastisement and insults heading my way)

QUOTE (Thunder @ 12 Feb 2006, 10:04)Yes this is an interesting topic, and so far theres not to many positive voices towards model railway clubs, and i'm afraid i'm not going to change that, I have had an interest in model and real railways for a long time, and thought it would be a good idea to join a local club, so when i found an address to write to i duly sent off for details of meet nights ect, the response was no reply, i finally found where they met, and invited myself along, blimy was it hard work just trying to strike up a conversation, but i persisted, i tried for a year and a half before i gave up, to many rivet counters, i enjoy running and building layouts, that did not seem to be happening there, so i have gone back to just enjoying playing with my own layout, its a shame really, because it does not promote a good image towards this pastime, and come to think of it, there was not very many younger people there either, i wonder why?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.