Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I use a Heljan Bo-Bo - specifically now a Class 26 chassis that now is radio control battery powered as my ex exhibition layout has a now unaccessible line so it ensures it passes down it without sticking on any mucky track and after a couple of passes it is hopefully safe to test with a track powered loco (and if that sticks the 26 can be sent down to drag or push it out).

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Almost any of the newer, heavy models of diesels with central can motors and flywheels driving eight or more wheels will cope: my own usual choice is a pair of Heljan class 33s topping and tailing the track cleaning train. I can use just one of these locomotives, but if a leading locomotive encounters a dirty stretch of track before the track cleaner can get to it, it stands to reason that the train might grind to a sudden stop.

I did put up a video on YouTube showing my first runs with the CMX track cleaner, with both one and two locos at different times.

·
In depth idiot
8,210 Posts
There are a few heavy OO steam models proven up to the job, Bachmann's 9F, and the Heljan 2-8-0s.

I should think the metal bodied Hornby pacifics in the fancy 'Hornby Dublo' packaging would be up to it too, but running reports have not been received. If no-one else gets there first, I'll amend that by operating the 2022 announcement A4 in this style, once I have one on the layout...

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
I have used one for many years
1. I am all steam, favourite is a Bachman 9F
2. The Railroad P2 will do the jon
3. Heljan Garrett

most 8 coupled locos
I also
1. Keep the tank full
2. put the fluid onto the pad direct makes better control

But
1. Beware couplings, I need a tension lock and use an adapted (I think) Dapol long tail version made to fit the CMX it is after all an American unit

Result = Does the job very well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used one for several years now and push it either by a Bachmann 9F or Deltic. As these do the job well I have never tried any other locomotive. The last time I bought the cleaning pads they came from UK and not the USA . Sadly the UK ones seem weaker and shred easily

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I also
1. Keep the tank full
2. put the fluid onto the pad direct makes better control

But
1. Beware couplings, I need a tension lock and use an adapted (I think) Dapol long tail version made to fit the CMX it is after all an American unit

Result = Does the job very well!
Some good advice there which I don't always follow - I should, though! :rolleyes:

Re couplings: I have two solutions, having left the Kadee types on the CMX cleaner.
One is to use the Heljan class 33/1 locos in my video, which have Kadees fitted for use with the Kernow 4TC units.
The second is to make up a works train that incorporates a couple of vehicles with tension locks at one end and Kadees at the other.

Both solutions work, it just depends on what I feel like running on the day.

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
Couple of other issues
1. the pad roll I use both sides, fit as an off set so I can use it twice each side
2. the uk made pads are less long
3. Never use track magic as this coats wheels and then creates a lot of slipping shame really as it cleans the track excellently

1 - 11 of 11 Posts