Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a small DCC layout with -amongst other stock- three coaches: two Bachmann MkI and a Hornby ex-LMS, all current models.

I have been thinking about adding lighting to the coaches. I'm not too daunted about the interior work or DCC aspects thereof, but I am not sure about pickups.

What's the best way to do it? Is it always DIY, or do kits exist as well?

Would anyone be able to post any pictures on this topic?

Many thanks!

Walter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Walter,

It is possible to buy kits, they are certainly made by several European firms including Piko, Roco, and Fleischmann. Some of these may not be suitable for British coaches, but one, the Piko I think, can be cut to size. You will almost certainy need to fix metal wheels for these to work. I believe there is a kit made in the UK by Express Models(?) but have no experience of it.

Regards

·
Registered
487 Posts
Britho is certainly correct in saying that steel wheels are required. Suitable spring metal strips can be obtained from Fleischman stockists. One metal strip is required to be fixed to the body of each bogy by placing each end of the strip below each axle fitted to bogie's.
A length of small gauge wire is then soldered to each metal strip and wire then fed into the interior at opposite end of the coach.
I have used 12v GOR bulbs, three bulbs wired in parallel - using one wire from each bogy as positive/negative. Bulbs being fixed to the inside roof of the coach, in my case by blue tack for easier removal if required.
If however a more professional appearance is required various kits are on offer - I am not sure if kits are suitable for coaches not having power pick-ups fitted during manufacture.

GOR = Grain of Rice.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
As well as those mentioned by BRITHO Viessmann make two types of coach lighting units with a choice of either pale yellow or white LED's.

If your rolling stock has NEM pockets you could use the Viessmann conductive couplers & take the power from the locomotive (saves drag from pickups as well).

Hope this helps - if you want an further details of the Viessmann products then feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Heathcote Electronics make a nice unit to work on DCC and illuminate UK style coaches. It has the ability of being able to be programmed so the lights can be tuned on/off at will. Check out the site via the link below.

Heathcote

Coach wheel pick up contacts are something of a matter of choice and really any method that works for you is ok

1 - 7 of 7 Posts