Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently installed my first set of coach lighting from Express models.

I found the instructions about the pick up to be a little vague, getting a 1 1/2 inch strip of phosphor bronze strip and a bit of coiled wire.

But it's a simple, or so I thought, method for getting power to the light unit.

I have not yet put a decoder in the coach so pulling power straight from the wheel so coach is permanently lit. what I do get is the most irritating electric buzz from the coach as soon as the power goes on.

Is this a symptom of not putting a decoder in and would this go with the addition of one?

Cheers
Cpt Jack

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Yes, it probably is, and yes, it may - the decoder will feed it with DC not the DCC waveform so depending on the cause it may silence it. The noise should never be there in the first place.

There are other options for coach lighting that give a silent result, much better power storage and total realism though - look in the reiews section of MRF.

Richard

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Cap't Jack

I can highly recommend the DCC Concepts flicker Free lighting kit , with or without a decoder , I have used it both ways and it works silently and effectively . It is easy to put together

Link to the revue is Here

You will see I added my one of my installs on the end

Regards

Zmil

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well all solved and what an odd thing it was.

Took the coach to my local model shop and we put it on his test track, and guess what no noise, the buzz was gone.

Got back home put it on my track and there it was again.

The only difference is I use a Dynamis and his was a Hornby select.

Any how I have now installed a decoder to run 4 coaches together and by doing that I now has stopped the sound on my track...

Oh well .....

Cpt Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts