Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi Brian

I can see your point but the simple answer is yes, if you have the ability. It adds another dimension to your rolling stock. Yes it is a pain I know, painting the interior, people etc. I have just purchased off ebay plates, wine glasses etc to go inside my dining cars. Why? Remember seeing someone do it on here an thought it was fantastic. You only need to cater for yourself with lighting unless you do expo's etc and the public do love gimmicks no doubt about that.

I have the time and lots more soon as I will soon be working on a mine site in the middle of nowhere, 2 weeks on 1 off. Not a big drinker so what to do with the nights...... model trains!

Richard has also suggested getting posters of that era and reducing in size and putting in the coaches. Thats a great idea.

I would suggest to anyone who is thinking about it speak to Richard and buy 1 of his flicker free kits. With his new boards the hardest part is now getting the coach apart. It even makes me look like I know what I'm doing. The boards just make it so easy. For those that don't like soldering I tried holding the LED's in with super glue(414) just before this posting and it worked. Mid you, I'm not too keen on this method.

I think the biggest problem with coach lighting was the flickering and the light output. Both solved with caps and resistors.

That my bit.

Martin

· Premium Member
774 Posts
Sorry to bring this up again but I knew I had this photo somewhere.

As for the super glue idea Richard is right a terrible suggestion I made. So don't do it!

To the left bright coach lighting to the right prototypical lighting. Coach on left has 1 extra led and the same resistance. Ok, windows are bigger but 1 LED wont make that much difference.

Room had no ambient light.

Now something I have discovered with coach lighting. If you paint the interiors you get far better refraction hence better lighting. Now this is down to a couple of reasons. Firstly most paint contains titanium dioxide which gives us the brilliant white in paint paper etc so we get refraction from this. If you leave the interior unpainted the plastic ABS PVC absorbs the light and is a poor reflector.

m

1 - 2 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.