Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Hello,

All the recent talk about the Roco BR 44 got me looking at big steam locomotives, and I remembered seeing a rather smart looking BR 03.10 on Steve Jones' Electric Nose website, Roco again as it happens! Here is a link to the entry on his website, with a very good picture of the model:

http://www.electricnose.co.uk/archive/000394.html

And in N scale, without the extra few detailing parts fitted such as front wheel guards etc:

Anyway, Minitrix made a model a few years ago and I'm wondering which coaches would be appropriate for such an Epoch III locomotive on Rheingold duty? The Epoch III coaches that they released at the same time look a bit less exotic than some of the earlier ones and I was curious if such a train would pull other coaches / trains? (Please ignore that I model N scale and so whether any appropriate models exist!!)

Although primarily a modern electricrified modeller there is definitely something magnificent about the steam engine and so I am keen to have a few show trains to run such as the legendary Rheingold. So this Minitrix model has a loud engine allegedly, but I'm sure I won't be able to hear it over the Wagner...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 10 May 2008, 20:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Goedel,

The Loco and coaches are fine for the Rheingold.

David

Not sure about the Loco pulling the Rheingold, but the steel blue class 03.10 are a perfect match for the blue Hobbytrain (short) doubledecker coaches.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The information I found show the locos used as,
DB class 41 2-8-2 Venlo- Koln
DB class 01 4-6-2 Koln- Ludwigshafen
DB class 03 4-6-2 Ludwigshafen-Basel.
But I have seen the DB class 23 2-6-2 (Bestwig depot) on the Venlo section and the 03.10 is also mentioned.
The Blue 03.10 were based in Dortmund and used on North-South F trains, such as Hamburg-Frankfurt services.
Hans sachs, Gambrinus as examples.
In HO the liliput coaches L384211,L384411 and L382701 are fantastic models ( trains of four couches).
The early International services also used CIWL dining cars, which were changed to DSG diners a couple of years later.
Just as an aside the DB class 05 was used up to 1958 on Hannover- Koln three coach F trains.
The F train story is fasinating.
I show some formations on my website http://www.disrubahn.piczo.com/?cr=5&rfm=y in the section Model Zugbuildungs.
Hope this gives you a taste of the subject.

David

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The reason for the DB class 41, was that some were fitted with a shorter tender and could be used on the smaller Dutch turntables.
The Class 41 so fitted was also used on the Holland skandinavia Express (also an F train ) on the section from Holland to Osnabruck.

David

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Thanks very much for all your help David and Tom!

The BR 03.10 is on the way so I shall take some pictures and write a review when it arrives, as my first adventure into German steam! The first of many?!

I can't decide on the coaches yet, as the Minitrix ones above have the 'Deutsche Bundesbahn' printed too small on the bagage wagons alas but otherwise have got excellent reviews, while the Hobbytrain double deckers of IIIa got very good reviews on appearance but apparently run very poorly on train set curves and sharp points/turnouts, however mkm models in collaberation with L.S. Models made the same wagons in China
and they have been reviewed widely as the best available in N-Bahn Magazin and are very reasonably priced in both blue and green liveries...

...so I should ask next, how long was a typical double-decker train? (I've read that F-Zugs were as short as three coaches at times!)

*in the mean time I am searching for my Floßhilde costume*

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 13 May 2008, 10:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...so I should ask next, how long was a typical double-decker train? (I've read that F-Zugs were as short as three coaches at times!)

*in the mean time I am searching for my Floßhilde costume*
The Trix F-zug set was only three coaches. I questioned this at the time and was advised that yes, it was only three coaches long.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 13 May 2008, 00:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The BR 03.10 is on the way so I shall take some pictures and write a review when it arrives, as my first adventure into German steam!
Well, back off holiday in lovely Italy and there is a package waiting to be opened! I was going to submit a proper review but not enough time today, so I just tested her out on my old rusting analogue layout and look some pictures to post on the forum.

(click for a larger version of each picture)

And so to the review*, out of a maximum of five flying snails this model, Minitrix 12432 DB BR 03.10 steel blue steam locomotive, scored:

Model fidelity/appeal/insert subjective noun of your choice/titilation factor:

I think that even my feeble photographs speak for themselves here!

Running characteristics:

Ran perfectly on track, without wobble or other harmonic motion with respect to any axis, however motor is a fairly old design and though powerful and with a flywheel is fairly noisy, but I found turning up the volume on The Rhinegold helped my ears overcome this. Plus it works as an incentive to run the model very slowly when the movement of the locomotive drive system can be appreciated properly.

Conversion to DCC:

A decoder is plugged straight into an interface in the tender, above the motor, dead easy once you've worked out how to get the tender open safely! There is room in the cab for C T Elektronik's fantastic N scale DCC Sound 8 ohm speaker, and the sound decoder itself will fit into the tender too, with a very small amout of modification and not using the plug in interface. See 1zu160 for details! I might have a go at this myself...

Overall impression:

A fantastic model, and the pastry cutting of the wheels isn't so noticeable to me when the locomotive is running, but even so the flanges are a bit excessive even for badly laid set-track?! I'm sure this is improved on Minitrix current releases as this model dates from a year or two ago. For highest levels of detail then of course go for a H0 model such as the super Roco one mentioned above, but for N scale this is a terrrific locomotive with a high level of accuracy, detail nicely finished, the drive system is a pleasure to watch, and most importantly really captures the feel of the prototype.

QUOTE (goedel @ 13 May 2008, 00:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The first of many?!
Probably! Even though it's not Epoch IV-V and electric...

*the opinions expressed in the review represent only the global unanimous view and official policy of the UN Security Council plus Germany after careful consultation of at least one person at each railway station in the multiverse.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Goedel,

An example of a Epoch III train of DB doubledeck stock, the loco on this train is a DB 01.

Note the prewar 1st class coach behind the loco.

Early Epoch III 03.10 hauled Fzug leaving Hamburg.

Both photographs from http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/

Welcome to the fasinating early postwar period of West German Railways

David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts