Model Railway Forum banner

Coaches selection, need help

15K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Ravenser 
#1 ·
Hello, I need help, I know nothing.
I'm looking for BR MK1 coaches for A3 Flying Scotsman's traction and I see there are many types of coaches, like Brake/Corridor Composite, Composite CK, Corridor First FK, Corridor SK, Full Brake BG, Restaurant Car RU, RFO Restaurant Car, RMB Miniature Buffet Car, which one and how many should I buy? I'm going to get 5-9 coaches.

I'm also looking for MK2 coaches for Class 50 D421, seem there are lesser types of MK2 coaches than MK1, what I see from Bachmann website are BFK Brake Corridor First, BSO Brake Open Second, FK Corridor First and TSO Open Second. The livery of Blue/Grey colour is quite good, in my opinion.

Thank you,
Dennis

Discussion starter · #19 ·
A3 was quite easy but I'm quite confused on the Class 50 coaches.....so there were MK1 and MK2/2A mixed together in that era? I don't have a clear picture for the combination....was there a solid colour livery or it's actually assortment of maroon/blue grey mk1 and mk2/2a?

Dennis

Discussion starter · #23 ·
QUOTE (34C @ 25 Nov 2007, 00:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you want to create a 'typical' principal express train on the East Coast I would suggest these formations for your 5 to 9:
BCK/SK/RU/FK/BSK,
BCK/SK/SO/RU/FK/BSK,
BCK/SK/SO/RU/RFO/FK/BSK,
BCK/SK/SK/SO/RU/RFO/FK/BSK,
BCK/SK/SK/SO/RU/RFO/FK/FK/BSK,
and going on to 10 or 11;
BCK/SK/SK/RMB/SO/RU/RFO/FK/FK/BSK,
BCK/SK/SK/SK/RMB/SO/RU/RFO/FK/FK/BSK.

The last is the scheduled vehicle make-up of the Elizabethan in the late BR steam era; the actual vehicle order sometimes shown with RMB and SO exchanging positions. The BCK is on the North end of the formation, as it and the adjacent SK were through to Aberdeen. If you want to go bigger, extras in the form of SK, CK and BG can be added.

Can I use the above structure for Class 50 with a mixture of Mk1 and Mk2 coaches, too? I decided to keep Blue/Grey only.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
BCK/TSO/RU/BFK/BSO,
BCK/TSO/SO/RU/BFK/BSO,
BCK/TSO/SO/RU/RFO/BFK/BSO,
BCK/TSO/TSO/SO/RU/RFO/BFK/BSO,
BCK/TSO/TSO/SO/RU/RFO/BFK/BFK/BSO,

Is that a good combo for MK1 and MK2 coaches?

Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.