Model Railway Forum banner

Coaches selection, need help

15K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Ravenser 
QUOTE (ms06s_char @ 24 Nov 2007, 14:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello, I need help, I know nothing.
I'm looking for BR MK1 coaches for A3 Flying Scotsman's traction and I see there are many types of coaches, like Brake/Corridor Composite, Composite CK, Corridor First FK, Corridor SK, Full Brake BG, Restaurant Car RU, RFO Restaurant Car, RMB Miniature Buffet Car, which one and how many should I buy? I'm going to get 5-9 coaches.
If you want to create a 'typical' principal express train on the East Coast I would suggest these formations for your 5 to 9:
BCK/SK/RU/FK/BSK,
BCK/SK/SO/RU/FK/BSK,
BCK/SK/SO/RU/RFO/FK/BSK,
BCK/SK/SK/SO/RU/RFO/FK/BSK,
BCK/SK/SK/SO/RU/RFO/FK/FK/BSK,
and going on to 10 or 11;
BCK/SK/SK/RMB/SO/RU/RFO/FK/FK/BSK,
BCK/SK/SK/SK/RMB/SO/RU/RFO/FK/FK/BSK.

The last is the scheduled vehicle make-up of the Elizabethan in the late BR steam era; the actual vehicle order sometimes shown with RMB and SO exchanging positions. The BCK is on the North end of the formation, as it and the adjacent SK were through to Aberdeen. If you want to go bigger, extras in the form of SK, CK and BG can be added.

QUOTE (Colombo @ 25 Nov 2007, 19:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the Midland Mainline in the 70s and 80s, I have the impression that they always martialled the first class stock at the London end of the train. This gave the posh first class passengers a flying start to get to the taxi rank and off to their meetings before the lesser mortals at the back of the train. Does anybody know if this also happened on the ECML?
Pretty consistently the principal services had the first class at or near the South end of the booked formation for easier access at KX. It would be interesting to know whether these trains were stopped at planned points in the through stations at which they called or terminated to place 1st class vehicles advantageously for their passengers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.