Model Railway Forum banner

Coaches selection, need help

15K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Ravenser 
There is no hard and fast rule about what to haul behind a locomotive. My rule is choose appropriate to the period modelled and then region. For me that means mid fifties trains are Blood & Custard and as my layout is based in west yorkshire, ex LNER locos pull "E" numbered stock and ex LMS pull "M" numbered stock. For late '50s trains, the coaching stock will tend to be in maroon livery. The Bachmann RMB in Blood & Custard will never run in my trains because it was introduced after the start of the Maroon period. You will note on that Bachmann qualify the description on the box with "preserved".

In terms of coach types, you need a mix of first and second class and a reasonable amount of luggage space too.

David

QUOTE if you have a brake coach at either end and buffet or resteraunt car in the middle then evrything else is pretty flexable.

It has been my observation that the food vehicles provide a "buffer" between first and second class ie first class on one side, second class on the other. Is this usually the case or were there exceptions?

David

QUOTE one or two (ex LNER) Thompson coaches into the formation - these are available from Bachmann but they are older models to a lower standard than their superb Mk1s

The most obvious difference is the recessed windows on the Thompsons. I have just fitted some flush glazing to my one Thompson and it does make a difference.

David

QUOTE You would need to check out which coaches are regularly used on such excursion trains

There must be a lot of photos of 4472 at the head of such trains. It would also be worth identifying which tour company organises the trips and hunting down photos of other trains in their port folio. Whilst the locos on excursions trains change, the coaches don't, which reminds me, if you do want to model an excursion train, you'll need the locomotives "support" coach. I believe these are usually BSKs. Take a look at the coach behind Princess Elizabeth taken last summer.
Hasn't the NRM announced a model of their own support coach to be released real soon?

I've been on a couple of tours where I believe the coaching stock has been provided by West Coast Railways. The trains are usually a colourful mix. I will post some photos in my gallery in the next couple of days. You can take your choice from green, maroon, cream and green. I don't know where that last one comes from!

David

I have uploaded two images of coaching stock used in railtours I have been on to the UK mainline steam album in the galleries section.

I've noticed that all the coaches appear to be on "Commonwealth" bogies. Is that mandatory for mainline use these days, I assume its a speed thing?

David

QUOTE dwb's photo gallery seems to show an RBR in maroon
I don't know if this additional information will help to tighten up on the identification; the door at the left of the camera is labelled "Kitchen". The coach itself is lettered "Kitchen Car".

On this trip those with foresight (and enough cash) opted for full meal service so full cooking facilties were required. On the original tour timings there had been a reasonable stop over in Carlisle which we had hoped to use to get some food. Unfortunately "Paving difficulties" meant the times were changed which resulted in an absurdly early start from Reading, and hardly any time at Carlisle. As I have written elsewhere, we won't be doing that again.

David

QUOTE I do remember on occasions seeing loco crew in the first compartment in the train

The BFI film "The Elizabethan" shows the relief crew stirring themselves from a compartment when it's time for them to take over on the footplate. I don't know if it's the first compartment or not. This film also shows how cramped the kitchen facilities were for preparing a full English breakfast.

6024's support coach is (July 2006) a BSK in chocolate and cream livery with running number W35333. It's on Commonwealth bogies and I'm guessing that the yellow axle covers means they're roller bearings?

As a further aside, the next coach along is in BR Blue / Grey. That Torbay Express really was a "Liveries through the ages" type of train.

David

QUOTE they should also have a red horizontal stripe across the yellow.

Not in the photo I took.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.