Model Railway Forum banner

Coaches selection, need help

15K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Ravenser 
QUOTE (ms06s_char @ 26 Nov 2007, 15:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm quite confused on the Class 50 coaches.....so there were MK1 and MK2/2A mixed together in that era? I don't have a clear picture for the combination....was there a solid colour livery or it's actually assortment of maroon/blue grey mk1 and mk2/2a?

Modelling the "transition period is, to put it mildly, a minefield, as when the 50s were introduced in 1967 there were still steam locos at work in the Crewe area. It was therefore not unusual to see trains made up of mk 1 and 2 stock in a variety of colours. I have at least one photo of a class 77 hauling a train of maroon, blue/grey and green stock, although I am not sure if this ever happened with a 50.

My best advice would be to hunt out a copy of Power of the 50s and study the photographs.

Regards

QUOTE (Colombo @ 25 Nov 2007, 19:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the Midland Mainline in the 70s and 80s, I have the impression that they always martialled the first class stock at the London end of the train. This gave the posh first class passengers a flying start to get to the taxi rank and off to their meetings before the lesser mortals at the back of the train. Does anybody know if this also happened on the ECML?

I can't speak for the ECML, but back in the late 80's when the 50's were working Waterloo - Exeter services the first class accomodation was at the country end of the train. I well remember travelling there on a Network day when the powers that be downgraded the first class for second class passengers - the number of passengers who failed to spot the window notices was frightening!

Regards

QUOTE (dwb @ 25 Nov 2007, 19:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>6024's support coach is (July 2006) a BSK in chocolate and cream livery with running number W35333. It's on Commonwealth bogies and I'm guessing that the yellow axle covers means they're roller bearings?

Absolutely spot on - they should also have a red horizontal stripe across the yellow.

Regards

QUOTE (ms06s_char @ 28 Nov 2007, 23:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is a MK2 BFK = MK1 FK?

The Mk1 FK is a corridor first - that is no brake compartment.

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.