Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while I was trawling through the Gaugemaster site looking at Minitrix items I came across this beast:
Trix/Minitrix - M66112 - More Info coal mine
Mini Trix coal mine
at a cost of £106 it isnt cheap, but it certainly looks better than the Faller model

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Nobody in their right mind would buy Trix from Gaugemaster. If you buy it from Germany it would be much cheaper.

Unfortunately a lot of the Trix kits are now out of production and Gaugemaster are probably the last shops in Europe to stock these kits due to their outrageous prices. I'd do a search on Ebay If I was you.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Been having a very close look at that model and I'm pretty sure an as good, if not better, job could be reproduced in 4mm scale in card and other bits for less than 10 pounds sterling. The man hours involved shouldn't be too great either as most of the kit is just repetition.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm with CeeDee on this one. If ever there was an incentive to get off your a*** and do some scratchbuilding, this page is it !!!
£105 for a coal mine (in my humble opinion small not large as advertised) indeed !!!
Have another look at the warehouse buildings on the same page at £40 or more, then go to Metcalfe website and see very similar items at a fraction of the price. Now which are value for money?
If they rely on me, Gaugemaster will have MiniTrix buildings in stock at the turn of the next millenium.
Happy kitbashing

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 28 Sep 2006, 10:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nobody in their right mind would buy Trix from Gaugemaster. If you buy it from Germany it would be much cheaper.

Unfortunately a lot of the Trix kits are now out of production and Gaugemaster are probably the last shops in Europe to stock these kits due to their outrageous prices. I'd do a search on Ebay If I was you.

Neil,

With all due respect, Gaugemaster (AKA The Engine Shed) simply have to keep their prices at the recommended retail. If they started discounting they would upset the retailers who purchase Trix (& many other ranges) that they import.

This goes, to a certain extent to other retailers who also import & wholesale.

These companies could discount to retail, but they would lose trade sales. Believe me, retailers in the UK struggle to make a sustainable profit margin. It may very well be different for reatilers in Germany, but that's the way it is in the UK.

I would agree that some prices do seem high - I also find other trades/professions/products expensive - it would (to me at least) be interesting to know what business people who critisise UK retailers are in !

best regards
Brian

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Gwent rail @ 28 Sep 2006, 17:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If ever there was an incentive to get off your a*** and do some scratchbuilding, this page is it !!!
Happy kitbashing

..And for those wishing to have a go, I suggest consulting the 2 books on the subject by Rob Johnson,published by Book Law :-

Modelling aspects of the Coal Industry,pub 2003,ISBN 1 899624 43 0,

and the sequel :-

Modelling further aspects of the Coal Industry,pub 2006,ISBN 1 899624 93 7.

Although slightly simplistic at times,and with some annoying errors in the photo captions,these are nevertheless really good reference material for those unfamiliar with this fascinating area of our industrial heritage....

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wright Scale Burnside Aboyne Aberdeenshire AB34 5ES do a complete etched pit headgear
tel 013398 864494. Leaving you to construct the bulding around it.
ref: Modelling further aspect of the coal industry

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 29 Sep 2006, 08:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do I sence that most people think that Gaugemaster over charge the punter ?

I've found them to be higher priced than most. They certainly aren't in the same range as Hattons or Rails.

QUOTE Neil,

With all due respect, Gaugemaster (AKA The Engine Shed) simply have to keep their prices at the recommended retail. If they started discounting they would upset the retailers who purchase Trix (& many other ranges) that they import.

This goes, to a certain extent to other retailers who also import & wholesale.

These companies could discount to retail, but they would lose trade sales. Believe me, retailers in the UK struggle to make a sustainable profit margin. It may very well be different for reatilers in Germany, but that's the way it is in the UK.

I would agree that some prices do seem high - I also find other trades/professions/products expensive - it would (to me at least) be interesting to know what business people who critisise UK retailers are in !

best regards
Brian
The reason prices are high here is that there is an extra link in the chain. For every extra link there is someone who has to get a cut and the price goes up accordingly.

As a consumer I look for the best possible price regardless of where or who it is. Retailers in Germany can buy direct from Trix or whoever at a more reasonable price than a dealer here could.

The only UK retailers I criticise are those selling overpriced goods. I can see why they are overpriced but I prefer to buy my German outline from lower priced German stores. Similarly I buy all my UK outline from British stores who have the best prices on British outline.

Oh, and I work in Insurance.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 29 Sep 2006, 00:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Retailers in Germany can buy direct from Trix or whoever at a more reasonable price than a dealer here could.
Retailers in the UK can buy direct from Trix (& many other manufacurs as well) if they can achieve the turnover.

Personally, I'm sure the German retailers get a better deal direct or otherwise. The other factor is the discount structure - everytime the turn over increases the dealer gets another 1% or so off (& this is 1% off then 1% off which works out at more than 2%).

Oh, and I work in Insurance.
Lets cut the brokers out then ! (Seriously though my last van renewal from N****** U**** Direct was for about £850 - through a Broker with guess who - N****** U**** Direct around £550 for exactly the same policy/cover.

It' just a great pity that the playing field is not level !

regards
Brian

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Retailers in Germany can buy direct from Trix or whoever at a more reasonable price than a dealer here could.
Retailers in the UK can buy direct from Trix (& many other manufacurs as well) if they can achieve the turnover.

Personally, I'm sure the German retailers get a better deal direct or otherwise. The other factor is the discount structure - everytime the turn over increases the dealer gets another 1% or so off (& this is 1% off then 1% off which works out at more than 2%).
That explains a lot. As German outline here is only a niche, it will never get the volume sales to reduce the prices.

QUOTE Oh, and I work in Insurance.
Lets cut the brokers out then ! (Seriously though my last van renewal from N****** U**** Direct was for about £850 - through a Broker with guess who - N****** U**** Direct around £550 for exactly the same policy/cover. Brokers add on a hefty whack but they do get preferential treatment for their customers. Their clients get paid out on things that would normally get knocked back due to their buying power. So their are advantages to being with a broker. It's unusual for a broker to be cheaper than going to the insurer direct though. Sound like you got a good deal.

QUOTE It' just a great pity that the playing field is not level !

It never is though, is it Brian? Can you think of any area of life that is really fair? I can't

1 - 14 of 14 Posts