Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hope to goodness I have chosen the right forum for this question, but it seemed appropriate.
I had a minute plastic cog that goes on the end of the motor spindle of a Farish loco. The wheels seem to have jammed and so the cog split in half.
I have tried the equivalent of brain surgery in trying to glue it with Farish model glue and also bostic, to no avail.
It appears? to be the same as the train of cogs in the bogie. It has 16 teeth.

Does anybody know where I might obtain such a thing, or a bag of them please in UK? I believe Farish no longer exist?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello there

its more likely that the worm split causing the gears to jam rather than the other way round.

First question is, how old is the model?
Bachmann now own Graham Farish and if your very lucky and the moon is in the right place and the cows are luying down and all your mirrors are still intact then its possible that they will still have spares.

What loco is it?
there may be amomdern chassis that you can put beneath the existing bodyshell. this would probably give you far better running qualities aswell. having said that, it will probably be just as cost effective to just buy a new loco and keep your existing one for static display.

Peter

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I've seen this on forums before, it is a re-cog-nised (sorry!) problem with pre-Bachmann Farish locos and sometimes also the post-Bachmann ones especially where the mechanisms are still to the old design. Try www.brlines.co.uk for spares, or I think the N gauge society do them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
@pedromorgan
It is a BR Class 101 multiple unit probably over 10 years old. The worm is brass and OK. I note that one similar cog on each bogie (in the chain of 5) is also split (as if the hole was not quite large enough and was forced on.
I take your suggestion that a new chassis might not be cost effective and agree because the shell is simply plastic.
However, I'll try Bachman, thank you.

@Edwin
Thank you for the link I will give it a go.

I think there is nothing to lose by trying, but had no idea where to go.
Thanks
Don

[Edit] I have now visited BRLines and they do indeed sell 6 to a bag. I have asked if they can confirm they are correct and problem solved.
Thank you again

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Donone @ 5 Oct 2008, 19:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>@pedromorgan
It is a BR Class 101 multiple unit probably over 10 years old. The worm is brass and OK. I note that one similar cog on each bogie (in the chain of 5) is also split (as if the hole was not quite large enough and was forced on.
I take your suggestion that a new chassis might not be cost effective and agree because the shell is simply plastic.
However, I'll try Bachman, thank you.

@Edwin
Thank you for the link I will give it a go.

I think there is nothing to lose by trying, but had no idea where to go.
Thanks
Don

[Edit] I have now visited BRLines and they do indeed sell 6 to a bag. I have asked if they can confirm they are correct and problem solved.
Thank you again

***its a problem I see often

The Mfr makes the gears from un-aged nylon. They are supposed to be very tight on the shafts but because the nylon is still "green", it keeps shrinking a little after its staked onto the axle bearing - eventually, the pressure is so high it splits.

When you get the bag of gears, before you replace them, dump them in a cup of really hot water. leave there until the water is cold.

This procedure will de-stress the nylon and even though it'll still be a tight fit, it won't split again.

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
QUOTE (Donone @ 5 Oct 2008, 18:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will do Peter, but I guess I won't get a reply until tomorrow at the earliest. It does seem as if this site is just running down stocks until they are gone.

Hi Don,

Bob Russell at B.R. Lines is the person to ring for your gears ... as has been said ....... he is very good on sending out orders delivered next day in my experience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that is what I call service, and on Sunday to boot!.
Email from Bob, explaining in detail the workings and construction of the bogies and the wheel insulators etc.
The motor cog is available and I need four new axles due to one cog in each bogie being split.
And the prices are reasonable.

Thanks for your help in avoiding a 'static train'.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
QUOTE (Donone @ 6 Oct 2008, 07:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well that is what I call service, and on Sunday to boot!.
Email from Bob, explaining in detail the workings and construction of the bogies and the wheel insulators etc.
The motor cog is available and I need four new axles due to one cog in each bogie being split.
And the prices are reasonable.

Thanks for your help in avoiding a 'static train'.

Hi Don,

Exceptional service glad you got it sorted out, Bob is a very good source for any Farish parts.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Donone @ 8 Oct 2008, 00:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>@Richard: Sorry, I only just spotted that advice about the nylon cogs and hot water. Where else could one get such tips.
Thanks

***No problem. It was something that was told me by an engineer who really knew his materials.... thankfully it really works!

I needed to know about this as I get lots of expensive brass locos sent to me that have been in boxes for a decade or more and ever run.... and the owners are always annoyed that their $$thousand plus loco lumps along the track due to split gears.

Sadly gears for many just aren't available so we need to either get them milled or repair the original which is a horrendous job - squeezing it tightly closed in a lathe and turning a tiny slot in each side to insert a couple of super tiny brass rings cut from tube to keep it together properly...

SO - when we replace a gear, we always do it as we never want it to happen twice!

Richard

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oddly Richard, mine was in a box for about nine years after only having done about 50 feet on track. When re-opened, that is when the problem emerged. It had presumably cracked in the 'inbox' period.
The only difference is of course mine was not $thousands plus.
The advice is still relevant despite the price though and thanks again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One last comment, the new style cogs plus 4 complete axles (they must be the same throughout because they have smaller wheels) arrived today and despite thick fingers, all have been fitted.

The wheels look much nicer than the originals and have more realistic smaller flanges.
Total cost including postage and much free advice from Bob Russel £13.xx

Thanks for your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts