Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Donone @ 5 Oct 2008, 19:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>@pedromorgan
It is a BR Class 101 multiple unit probably over 10 years old. The worm is brass and OK. I note that one similar cog on each bogie (in the chain of 5) is also split (as if the hole was not quite large enough and was forced on.
I take your suggestion that a new chassis might not be cost effective and agree because the shell is simply plastic.
However, I'll try Bachman, thank you.

@Edwin
Thank you for the link I will give it a go.

I think there is nothing to lose by trying, but had no idea where to go.
Thanks
Don

[Edit] I have now visited BRLines and they do indeed sell 6 to a bag. I have asked if they can confirm they are correct and problem solved.
Thank you again

***its a problem I see often

The Mfr makes the gears from un-aged nylon. They are supposed to be very tight on the shafts but because the nylon is still "green", it keeps shrinking a little after its staked onto the axle bearing - eventually, the pressure is so high it splits.

When you get the bag of gears, before you replace them, dump them in a cup of really hot water. leave there until the water is cold.

This procedure will de-stress the nylon and even though it'll still be a tight fit, it won't split again.

Richard

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Donone @ 8 Oct 2008, 00:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>@Richard: Sorry, I only just spotted that advice about the nylon cogs and hot water. Where else could one get such tips.
Thanks

***No problem. It was something that was told me by an engineer who really knew his materials.... thankfully it really works!

I needed to know about this as I get lots of expensive brass locos sent to me that have been in boxes for a decade or more and ever run.... and the owners are always annoyed that their $$thousand plus loco lumps along the track due to split gears.

Sadly gears for many just aren't available so we need to either get them milled or repair the original which is a horrendous job - squeezing it tightly closed in a lathe and turning a tiny slot in each side to insert a couple of super tiny brass rings cut from tube to keep it together properly...

SO - when we replace a gear, we always do it as we never want it to happen twice!

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts