Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good….I found one in a local junk shop all in box unmade of course and I jumped at it, I had to they wanted a pound for it! I recently got it out the pack to see about building it but upon inspecting the bits it didn’t seem as good as I remembered, really quite crude….I seem to remember the suspension system and the sprung buffers etc but looking at it I just put it all back and left well alone…..it’s amazing how things change, and how the mind remembers the greener side :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Somewhere or other I have the bodies of a Tarmac five plank open and three vans, Blue Circle, Carricks and another in brown, liveried for a rope and twine mfr of Musselbrugh. All likely to be stripped of at least wheels, buffers and W irons, recycled onto other models. Anyone interested can have them for postage. The only one still running is an ICI salt wagon, making its way to an ICI Plastics division location on the 'Welwyn shunt'.

Don't murder the Peco Wagons, I'll pay a fair price & postage for them!!

Tarmac was quite common, came out about '65 ish and ran to the end of production. Blue Circle van ran from about '72 to the end of production and Carricks the same. The 'other' van is the J & W Stuart van which only ran for about 12 or so years so this one is a bit harder to find than the others. Most of the vans ran for about 20 years with a couple of exceptions - Colmans seems to have appeared very briefly in around '68 with a card roof and was very quickly discontinued until it came back in 81 with a plastic roof - card roofed Colemans vans are very rare. ICI Salt wagon ran from around '68 ish to the end of production.

So, if you are selling, I am buying at a fair price. Soon I'll have about 200 of these wagons... Email me directly if you want to set up a deal you can get me by using rob at ii-au dot com and I'll reply from there.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
That's interesting 34C as I haven't come across much dialogue on these kits in 20 years. Sweeping up all the NOS from the shop must have been very rewarding :)

·
In depth idiot
7,941 Posts
...Don't murder the Peco Wagons, I'll pay a fair price & postage for them...
I must emphasise that they are already 'murdered': wheelsets and buffers long ago removed and repurposed, and I think all the W irons will have gone too, for use elsewhere. (I had intended to use the van bodies as grounded vans, and the 5 plank as a dumped lineside wreck, not yet cleared away by the engineer's department; but between kits and RTR far more suitable bodies for this purpose have now been obtained.)

First I have to find them, as they are in store behind a pile of other 'family stuff' which is supposed to be redistributed to the new owners by New Year, so little chance of getting onto this until January.

·
In depth idiot
7,941 Posts
That's interesting 34C as I haven't come across much dialogue on these (Three Aitch / 3H) kits in 20 years. Sweeping up all the NOS from the shop must have been very rewarding
The 3H kits really weren't around that long, something of a foretaste of Parkside and the like. Because there still isn't a RTR model, I have been systematically harvesting the LMS design standard general merchandise open in particular, both constructed and unbuilt. Underappreciated so often the price is small too, good value for the wheelsets alone! (Same appreciation for the ABS whitemetal general merchandise wagon kits and the detail parts, but these tend to go for rather more money.)

Naturally very mixed feelings about KX Models closing, at the time I was through KX to go to the London office of my then employer at least one day a week, so it was a regular port of call...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts