Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>I see I'm now an engine driver - someone else can shovel the coal on now !
but I'm a foreman, so get your eyes back on the road

The link works for me, but I think you need a pretty FAT pipe to get all the data downloaded. Still I liked the sample, so I'll look out for a copy in the shops.

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>you cant go no were there is a cow on the line.
My mother once used this excuse to explain why our train had stopped. When the train stopped again a short while later, I embarrassed her by asking in a loud voice whether there was another cow on the line.

David

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Thats a neat bit of software. I didn't like zooming in and seeing a workmans bottom full size on my screen though. A bit of shock! I wonder what our lady friends think?

From my personal perspective though could you please ask Model Rail to be more considerate when planning magazine covers in future and ask them to have the front cover centred on locomotives and not workmans bottoms!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 9 Jan 2007, 15:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I didn't like zooming in and seeing a workmans bottom full size on my screen though. A bit of shock! I wonder what our lady friends think?

At least it wan'nt "bulders cleavage".

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Rated as a 5 blob model as 5 white blobs. Each item rated now gets between 1 and 5 white blobs. Colours are no longer used. There is a 2 blob product reviewed this month which I felt was grossly unfair.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I noticed the 2 star rating on the O gauge shunter.
What you cant really get a feel for in the pictures is the quality of the casting. I have seen some very poor resin models being sold for £250+. i dont know what the shunters castings are like but you cant really judge it buy the pictures.

Also the model has no interior. now on a OO model that would probably be fine but in O gauge you are really going to notice that.

With regards to the running they can only review it on the performance of the sample model and they stated in the review that one of the wheels was wobly and it didnt run properly.

while i dont wish to defend model rail (i too regularly disagree with their reviews especially when they are poorly conducted) i could understand why a model like that would only be given 2 stars.

Is the deatil good- no it has no interios
does it run well - no
is it value for money - thats a matter for your opinion but i expect some metal for £150

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Kits reviews are subjective and down to the skills of the kit builder. More so than ready to run models. It seems odd that the reviewer did not go back to the kit manufacturer before reviewing the kit as surely it would have been apparent that something was wrong when the package was opened and something may have happened during shipment. Don't you normally test motors and check wheels before fitment? I get a sense that this review was a rush job and if a bit more time and care had been taken putting the kit together and had the reviewer liased with the company having noted issues and sought replacement parts then it would have been a better documented review.

Why review a kit product when clearly a component is not right?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
You are right it is ready to run. I read the review several days ago so and have just had another look.

They should still have questioned things though with the manufacturer as the running qualities cannot be normal surely?

The words used in the conclusion "delightful" "appeal" "charmer" are not reflected in the 2 blob rating so it is all a non starter for me whatever as a review as it does not make any sense.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I remember a very diplomatic review for a class 67 kit in BRM a few years ago. it took me about 20 mins to stop laughing.

you are right.
"delightful" "appeal" "charmer" are alot more upbeat than "original livery" "novel construction method" "interesting running qualities" "fascinating wheel geometry"...!!

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 11 Jan 2007, 10:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I remember a very diplomatic review for a class 67 kit in BRM a few years ago. it took me about 20 mins to stop laughing......

At least no-one has used "an improvement on the origials design" - or have they?

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I bought a copy today. £3.10 well spent

I wouldn't have known about it or been all that interested if it hadn't been for that online promo they did. So if anyone from Model Rail is reading this - it has worked at least once!

David

1 - 20 of 31 Posts