Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new DCC layout using the Hornby Elite and I am looking to add some working colour light signals

How is it best to wire and control these -- should I use the Elite and if so how, or would you recommend a different method, or using a dc controller (I have a Gaugemaster combi)

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Were you going to use Hornby's own colour light signal (which are rather overscale) or those made by someone else, such as Ekcon/Berko? Just that Hornby use a filament bulb and everyone else uses LEDs, which may influence your choice of operation.

By the way, we have a 'Signalling' sub-forum (under the 'Tracks, Layouts and Scenery' part of the forum) where we discuss both the prototype and modelling signals, which may be of interest to you.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (John Webb @ 18 Dec 2008, 14:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Were you going to use Hornby's own colour light signal (which are rather overscale) or those made by someone else, such as Ekcon/Berko? Just that Hornby use a filament bulb and everyone else uses LEDs, which may influence your choice of operation.

By the way, we have a 'Signalling' sub-forum (under the 'Tracks, Layouts and Scenery' part of the forum) where we discuss both the prototype and modelling signals, which may be of interest to you.

Regards,
John Webb

I am intending to use Eckon/Berko -and probably looking to control them Manually - either through the Elite or with switches.

I will take a look at the sub forum, thanks

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
To operate the signals via the Elite you will need an accessory decoder that can give a constant output. I'm not well up on DCC, mainly because I run Hornby live steamers, but the R8247 can apparently be set to do this. But you can only switch two-aspect signals with this, I believe. If you wanted three or four aspect signals a manual switching system may be better.

But one of the DCC experts on this forum may be able to explain how MAS (Multiple Aspect Signalling) can be done via DCC.

Regards,
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts