Model Railway Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
How To Mark Forums Read

If you want to mark a specific forum as read, navigate to that forum. At the top you will see a button to “Mark All Read.

If you want to mark all threads in the community as read, click on NEW near the upper right-hand corners of the site.

Click on Mark All Read.

You will then see a popup confirming that this is what you want to do. Click “Mark All Read”.

- Cricket
Yes I know that. I wanted to mark ALL forums read from the main index page! as we had before.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I need the actual link (URL) of the thread, please.

- Cricket
This is where that thread came from:

·
Administrator
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This is where that thread came from:
Thank you. We are looking into this issue.

- Cricket

·
Registered
737 Posts
I was somewhat surprised to log on to this web site a couple of weeks ago to find this new "improved " version of Model Rail Forum. Frankly it is a great disappointment it is difficult to navigate and I do not see it to be an improvement on the original site. The old web site was easy to navigate and you could see at a glance where everything was.
I have been a member of this web site for many years now and have referred to it most days. I have obtained and given information and regarded it as a useful asset to our hobby.
Sadly this is no longer the case. Maybe I am not the only member who sees this in a negative light as there seems to be far fewer posts. I will give it another month and unless there are changes that significantly improve it, or reverts to the original format then sadly I will cease to visit it.
There are other model railway websites out there which are much easier to use and receive frequent posts. Lets hope you can improve this one.

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
Is it possible to have an 'edit' facility, to enable 'speeling orrer coffections' or other amendments, to be made after posting?

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,292 Posts
Is it possible to have an 'edit' facility, to enable 'speeling orrer coffections' or other amendments, to be made after posting?
You should be able to see a vertical row of three dots to the top right of every post.

If you click on the three dots, various options are available.

On your own posts, “Edit“ is one of the options on the drop down list. The other is “Report

On other posts, the three dots gives access to the “Report” function…

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
Peter,

Sorry to say I too have been steadily abandoning once good websites following supposed 'upgrades' to the software on which they run.

The problem as I see it is that the software has to eventually be replaced to keep up with the underlying OS: now that's both necessary, and not a problem in and of itself. But what also happens is that the appearance and functionality is also modified very significantly and quite unnecessarily. What's forgotten is the old mantra 'KISS'.

Regards, Paul

·
Administrator
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am not sure I understand your question. :(

How To Edit A Post

Click on the 3 vertical dots to the far right of the timestamp. Select “Edit”.

Members have unlimited editing of new posts for the first 24 hours after posting. Up to 10 existing posts (older than 24 hours) may be edited per week. More editing will be allowed as each of those 10 edits expires every 7 days.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
In my humble opinion, a successful forum community has never been about the platform. It is about the amazing members who come together to share a common interest and along the way true friendships are developed.

I have been helping sites transition to the new forum software since May of 2019. In that time I have noticed that during the first 30 days or so, traffic tends to slow down a bit while folks adjust to the new navigation and features. Somewhere between 60 - 90 days the activity increases and the community begins to grow. Give it some time. We will get there.:)

We will be seeing regular updates that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers.

- Cricket

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
...I have been helping sites transition to the new forum software since May of 2019. In that time I have noticed that during the first 30 days or so, traffic tends to slow down a bit while folks adjust to the new navigation and features...
Some of us are getting fed up 'adjusting'. Forum software was fit for purpose from a user perspective from about 2005 in my perception. No need to change what the user sees, just maintain it, whatever underlying platform upgrades are required.

Imagine if print books were suddenly revised to read right to left or the spine was put on the bottom edge of the pages. Once a format is well sorted and delivers the necessary functionality, leave it alone. It doesn't matter that the print was once hand set but is now achieved by a mechnical process, or the binding was once stitched but is now glued, the essential format for the reader is unchanged. KISS!
... a successful forum community has never been about the platform. It is about the amazing members who come together to share a common interest and along the way true friendships are developed...
That's true. But every time there's a significant revision to functionality, a good proportion of the existing users walk, and often among them are the most expert and interesting contributors. I maintain contact privately with a good couple of dozen once very active contributors to various model railway interest sites, who simply cannot be bothered to once again learn how the new software works. They are not s/w enthusiasts, but railway modeling enthusiasts.

·
Administrator
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Some of us are getting fed up 'adjusting'. Forum software was fit for purpose from a user perspective from about 2005 in my perception. No need to change what the user sees, just maintain it, whatever underlying platform upgrades are required.
I am a huge creature of habit and have never been a fan of change. It took me a bit to adjust to the new forum software initially but once I realized that everything I need to navigate the community is in the upper right-hand corner of the site, it got easier for me.

Please let me know if there is anything I can help you find.

- Cricket

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
Thanks, but I can usually muddle through. I had the benefit of a career with Xerox, and thus using the Star 'PC' in the early eighties. It's all been downhill since!

The original PARC WIMPs scheme was so intuitive, that the user was near fully trained by the system half an hour after first sitting down in front of it. Probably the most challenging aspect of operation was finding the power switch. See why I am a little cranky? There clearly ain't the talent to match the team Xerox assembled at PARC...

·
Chief Nut Maker
656 Posts
To be honest I find this new forum software to be very easy to use and navigate, I always thought the old software a bit clunky compared to other forums.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
None of my images from photos from my gallery have reappeared in my thread, apart from the very last one which I posted to this thread three weeks ago. The only photos appearing in my Lymington Junction thread have a Photobucket watermark on them; those are not the ones I am talking about.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.