Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
We tested a Gresley teak coach fitted with kit built compensating bogies on the club OO play layout the other night and the difference the compensating bogies made to coach running was stunning. The coach ran perfectly rock and roll free along the straights with not lateral sideways motion at all and across module joints it did not jump or jolt as normal bogies do. For those who are unable to lay perfectly straight track or who have a lot of undulations and gradients then these bogies are just the job. Trouble is I have forgotten who makes the kits!

Each bogie takes 2-3 hours to make up and fit and they simply permit axles to move relative to each other in different directions and permit much finer scale wheels to be fitted without any risk of derailing as you can see.

Compare this with the stiff plastic bogies fitted to ready to run coaches and with the finescale wheels ready to run manufacturers now fit if track is not perfectly flat you will inevitable get a derailment. Not so with these bogies fitted.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Each bogie takes 2-3 hours to make up and fit and they simply permit axles to move relative to each other in different directions and permit much finer scale wheels to be fitted without any risk of derailing as you can see. So it's kind of a four wheel drive coach!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I had a set of Piko (from the old East German/Iron Curtain days) set of DR coaches in the 70's that had similar metal framed bodies (the retail on these was about half the price of H). The bodies were not too bad considering the price but they "rode the rails" better than anything else I had at the time.

Pity we don't see more compensated bogies - they really do make a difference.

·
Registered
352 Posts
This is very interesting, and something i have not given any thought too in the past, i wonder if it would be a viable proposition for one of the major manufacturers to adopt these on there rolling stock? or could there be a simple replacment bogie for existing stock? interesting thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts