Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to create an concrete area where the sleepers are invisible and the rails are 'sunken' so a van or something can cross them (it may be called a barrow crossing). I have tried polyfiller and card glued together then plasticard on top but I am now considering giving up.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have made a similar crossing by use of thick 2mm card cut to fit between and either sides of the rail and painted grey.
Remember to leave sufficient space between each rail and board to avoid fouling of rolling stock flanged wheels and the undersides of rolling stock.

·
Registered
487 Posts
dr5euss - I checked my level crossings made from 2mm card, and the card pieces are slightly below level of the rails.
I found this necessary as some of my diesel locomotives add-ons were fouling the level crossing card pieces.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm not speaking from experience, so take this with a pinch of salt!

My initial thoughts would be on the lines of thin card, positioned and height spaced with small beads of BluTak below. This should enable a lot of fine ajustments until it arrived at a state that was found to look and operate effectively.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for their comments - I have finished it just now using plasticard glued onto the sleepers. There is a difference in height on the inside, but it's barely noticable and looks great

1 - 9 of 9 Posts