Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 1 Apr 2008, 14:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know many people use "D" connectors but they are only somthing like half amp rated - they are certainly not meant for power, just data. Use too many of them (& the associated smaller cables) "daisy chained" & you will almost certainly end up with some volt drop.

You really need something of around 3 amp rating - RS do some with up to 36 ways in modular form which are a similar price.

QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 1 Apr 2008, 14:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know many people use "D" connectors but they are only somthing like half amp rated - they are certainly not meant for power, just data. Use too many of them (& the associated smaller cables) "daisy chained" & you will almost certainly end up with some volt drop.

You really need something of around 3 amp rating - RS do some with up to 36 ways in modular form which are a similar price.

I have been using "D" connectors for years on all sizes of layout up to a 14 board club layout in '00' DC.

The Maplin ones reference4d above do not have a rating on the internet but they are gold plated and my paper Maplin catalogue of 2004 quotes 7.5 A per pin and 300V rms. My 2007 Rapid catalogue quotes 5 A and also 300 V rms. Certainly well into the power region as far as I can tell.

I make up all my cables and find that the solder 'buckets' on the back of the pins will accept 16/0.2 stranded equipment wire which is good for 3A and I find to be adequate for 00 DC layouts. 7/0.2 wire does N DC.

A cable to one side about a foot long and a fixed shell on the other half is good to bridge each board join. As a great believer in providing easily accessible test points for fault finding in exhibition conditions I connect each side to a nearby tag strip and from there to the under board wiring harness.

For '00' DCC layouts where currents can be up to 5 amps I use 2 pins with 16/0.2 wire on each 'D' plug for each lead and underboard "buses" of old mains cable stripped from old flat twin and earth cable of 1, 1.5 or 2.5 sq mm area. Or the former imperial equivalents. (I'm a mean Scotsman) I do not, however have mains voltages running about under my baseboards, it is confined to a mains box which sits safely on the floor under the layout.

If you need more than one jumper cable across a baseboard join the cables can be reversed, male and female shells can be interchanged and different numbers of pins can be used to avoid mixing up connectors.

Always use the appropriate covers on the 'D' shells as not only does this avoid short circuits from accidental contact other items, but provides strain relief for the wires and helps avoid damage, specially when joining and separating boards.
Hope thiss helps,
Alex

1 - 1 of 1 Posts