Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi
Personally I use computer "D" connectors. Available in 9, 15 or 25 way pin and mating socket arrangement. They are ideal for model railway use. You can use ready made plug to plug or plug to socket leads and then use two mating sockets or plugs mounted into each side of the board joint or alternativly cut one lead in half and wire the cut end in to the multi way terminal strip on one side and the other side then plugs into a mating socket on the board or its mating free end is also a cut cable and has had its cable termianted in termnial strips too.
The alternative is the heavy duty multi pin plugs and sockets sold by RS components which are much easier to wire though more expensive! Both types are hyperlinked to give you some idea.

Maplin D connectors
Maplin ready made D cables
Both these are examples only and much cheaper connectors or ready made cables can be obtained.

RS multi pin plugs & sockets

In both cases where you're making up your own cables Plug Hoods will also be needed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 1 Apr 2008, 14:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know many people use "D" connectors but they are only somthing like half amp rated - they are certainly not meant for power, just data. Use too many of them (& the associated smaller cables) "daisy chained" & you will almost certainly end up with some volt drop.

You really need something of around 3 amp rating - RS do some with up to 36 ways in modular form which are a similar price.

Hi
Not sure where you buy your D connectors from, but the Maplin ones are rated at 7.5amps at 300v RMS per pin. Maplin D connectors spec.

If you want Heavy Duty connectors in up to 20 way variants, then the RS link I supplied previously shows some really good ones.

If you're unsure of any cables current carrying capacity (e.g. for a DCC bus etc) double, treble or even quad connect cores by connecting the appropriate cores together at both ends of the cable where they terminate on the baseboard.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here's an example of D connectors (25way ones) used as cross-board connectors on a layout that's semi permanent.
The coloured tapes around the shells helps rapid identification of the plug or socket to the wiring diagram. You can't plug the wrong one in as they are male/female opposed. It also helps ID the mating plug or socket quickly when working upside down under the layout.

All red wiring is 7/02mm and black is 16/02mm. I slip a short piece of heatshrink tubing over every other soldered bucket/wire and shrink it down once all are soldered and checked ok as this helps prevent any accidental pin to pin shorts occurring when assembling the shells around the connector and wires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts