Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I know many people use "D" connectors but they are only somthing like half amp rated - they are certainly not meant for power, just data. Use too many of them (& the associated smaller cables) "daisy chained" & you will almost certainly end up with some volt drop.

You really need something of around 3 amp rating - RS do some with up to 36 ways in modular form which are a similar price.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 2 Apr 2008, 10:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>These connector blocks were slightly special in that one side would have fixed pins protruding, and the adjacent block simply had brass connectors, no screws, so they just plugged together. Dunno where they came from originally,

They are available from All Components 01981 540781 www.allcomponents.co.uk & AFAIK rated at around 6amps.

RS also do a heavier version that is 15amp rated.

Not the neatest looking connectors but very robust - one half can be fixed & the other half floating.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
The spec of the last ones we used (for data) & were supplied by the customer were .5amp rated - don't know the source though.

Personally, for the simple reason that the contact area is relativly small (gold contacts or otherwise) I would not use them for power applications. Fine, if some people do & they suit their purpose.

In my main business (Electrical Engineering) I have seen far too many applications where quoted ratings have been "on the limit" with subsequent failures, especially in low voltage/high currant situations.

We could go on for ever quoting specs - how about the operational life regarding the amount of connecting/disconnecting cycles ?

Increasing the currant capacity by "doubling up" is not really the best electrical practice either.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Brossard @ 9 May 2008, 04:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I took some extension cords, cut them in half and soldered the ends to the DCC power bus.
At the risk of getting flamed I hope these are not mains extension leads - mains electrical connectors of a type in common use in the house/building, should never be use on a model railway, the consequences should anyone else but the owner/operator unplug something then plug it in to something else..........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts