Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought three Conrad point motors from another member of this forum. Having not used any kind of slow motion point motor before, I was keen to try them and I immediately set one up on a piece of test track. I was initially a little disappointed in its performance for two reasons. Firstly, the throw was very quick, although not as violent as with peco solenoids. Secondly, although the actual motor made very little noise, there was quite a clunk as the mechanism hit its stop at the end of travel each way.

I then had the idea that putting a resistor in series with the common wire would slow it down. Some experimentation with a toy electronics kit showed that 100 ohms was about right. It slowed down the movement to the point where it could be followed by eye. (A higher resistance slowed it down even more but it was unreliable, frequently stalling). Also instead of a healthy clunk at the end of the travel, there was now a slight click. As I told the seller, I went from being just satisfied with it to being very pleased with it!

To those put off the other types by their cost (Fulgurex £9, Tortoise £10+) these would seem to be a good low-cost alternative. They cost £4.20 individually,£.389 for 5 to 9, but only £3.50 if you buy 10 or more. They have a built-in frog polarity switch, although the company also advertise them without at the same price, which seems unnecessary duplication to me. There is one further point (pun entirely intentional); it wasn't until later that I realised I had been using one of my passing contact switches. It seems the Conrads have a built in capacitor to complete the motion after getting a pulse of electicity, so you don't even need to change your switches if you want to convert from solenoids.

I shall certainly be buying quite a few more.

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
Any chance of listing a supplier for these Conrad motors as I haven't found them on the net, well at least not in English language I'm afraid.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts