Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am planning for a container terminal, have become largely obsessed with container trucks to go along with my still unfinished Kibri terminal.

Started off with Cararama trucks and ended up with Herpa.

Cararama, although says 1:87 on their boxes are definitely not so, is 1:72. However they have a robust appearance, die cast body and very smartly shapped container's with hatches which you can open. Cheap.

As for Herpa trucks, exact 1:87 with stunning details. All plastic , very fragile, has to be handeled with care,bits and pieces come out of the box (mirrors etc..) which you have to glue. Container hatches do not open. Strickly for static layout appearences. ie.if you have small kids better keep them away, they will be well off with Cararama, at least thats what I am doing with my kids.

Below are my top favorites:

The Scania

The Mercedes

and the Volvo

Cheers
Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I always have liked the Herpa range, I have a few that have appeared in the liveries of UK companies (Royal Mail, Shanks). However Herpa also do a range of trucks marketed under the "Magic" banner. these are not as highly detailed but are an awful lot cheaper! I am not sure if there are any container trucks in the current range.

Regards

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Can someone explain to me why there are so few three axle tractor units on the continent? Every second unit I see in the UK seems to have three even if the centre axle is often jacked up out of the way.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 12 Sep 2007, 18:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can someone explain to me why there are so few three axle tractor units on the continent? Every second unit I see in the UK seems to have three even if the centre axle is often jacked up out of the way.

David

Hi David,

It's all down to the actual axel loading - to run at 44 tonnes in the UK - that's why 3 axel units are very common in the UK - it also makes keeping the axel loading within limits when doing multidrop deliveries.

The "tag" axel is raised when not required to reduce tyre & general wear.

The full details are complicated but that's the basic reason.

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE It's all down to the actual axel loading - to run at 44 tonnes in the UK - that's why 3 axel units are very common in the UK

So 44 tonne loads aren't that common on the continent?

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 12 Sep 2007, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So 44 tonne loads aren't that common on the continent?

David

Yes they are (& more than that in some countries) - it's just down to the actual axel loading rather than total weight David.

As an aside drawbar units are far more common in mainland europe than the UK.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE it's just down to the actual axel loading rather than total weight
Sorry to be a bit slow on the uptake here; so that means that in the UK there is a lower limit for the amount of weight that can be transmitted by a single axle which means there have to more of them?

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 12 Sep 2007, 21:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry to be a bit slow on the uptake here; so that means that in the UK there is a lower limit for the amount of weight that can be transmitted by a single axle which means there have to more of them?

David

That's about it David - it's the axel weight that does the damage to roads & sub-structure more than the total weight.

Having said that I dread to think of the weight some of the trucks from "less regulated" countries actually run at !

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 13 Sep 2007, 16:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's about it David - it's the axel weight that does the damage to roads & sub-structure more than the total weight.

Having said that I dread to think of the weight some of the trucks from "less regulated" countries actually run at !
I remember when I was in India being advised that Trucks were licensed by the government to carry loads that were 240% of the load recommended by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Baykal,

Have a look at the SCHUCO 1:87 trucks. They are more robust than the Herpa, well detailed and not expensive. You can also change the containers with some minor modifications.

Kind regards.

Johan

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Johan de Villiers @ 13 Sep 2007, 08:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have a look at the SCHUCO 1:87 trucks. They are more robust than the Herpa, well detailed and not expensive. You can also change the containers with some minor modifications.

I think I'm right in saying that the schuco models and the Magic ones all come out of the same factory. I have examples of both and the parts are fully interchangeable.

Regards

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE t's the axel weight that does the damage to roads & sub-structure more than the total weight.

Thanks for the info. Judging by the "rutting" that's appearing on a lot of trunk roads here, I suspect some vehicles here should have 4 axles! Some are decidedly dangerous if you have low profile tyres.

David

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Johan,

QUOTE (Johan de Villiers @ 13 Sep 2007, 07:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Baykal,

Have a look at the SCHUCO 1:87 trucks. They are more robust than the Herpa, well detailed and not expensive. You can also change the containers with some minor modifications.

Kind regards.

Johan

Checked their site but couldn't see any container trucks, all seem to be ordinary trucks. Got a link ?

Cheers
Baykal

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Baykal,

Go to www.classicjack.com and then on the menu to Schuco Junior Line. The Schuco Junior Line is (or was?) much bigger than the few trucks on their website. Maybe you should ask them for a list of all the trucks in the Schuco Junior Line.

Hope this helps and good luck with your container terminal.

Kind regards.

Johan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts