Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few years my collection of modern era locomotives with a Brenner Pass theme has grown to the point where I don't have any room to run them on my layout in the loft. It seems a shame to just leave them in boxes so I thought to display them on a shelf somewhere downstairs. And there the thought rested until "The Virus" came and I found myself working from home.

After a week at the dining room table which was uncomfortable, draughty and cold, the following weekend was spent clearing my desk in the smallest bedroom. More clearances followed and eventually it was possible to reach the single straight uninterrupted wall which would make a good location for an adjustable shelving system.

In due course some twinslot uprights and supports were put up and some 12mm plywood shelves. Most of these were filled with my collection of railway books, some modelling materials with a small amount of space for displaying locos.

Rather than just getting some bare track, I bought some Roco RocoLine ballasted tracks and finishing ends.

So far so tame. The plot thickens. Careful arrangement of the shelves left a gap at the bottom:

to be continued...

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After some initial sizing up, I decided that I could afford a 24" wide shelf for the first 35" just inside the door, so I bought a couple of 610mm brackets.

This was followed by a sheet of 12mm hardwood ply 35" x 24".

The length of 35" is one third the length of the wall. The room is just over 6' wide at the far end so the railway is going to be very simple. I am planning on making a small elok maintenance depot attached to the side of a small country station.

Part of the idea behind this shelf layout is to see what I can achieve with RTR locos, 'set track' and buildings from kits. Years ago I had a couple of Faller kits and have always fancied building a few more. In other words, something a bit simpler than the monster project in the loft. I also want to create something which evokes some of the southern German towns we have visited and enjoyed in recent holidays. Reading this article on this BBC website about people recreating elements of holidays in the Scilly Isles, I am not unique in wanting to do this.

So this first baseboard is going to be a town scene inspired by Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Dinkelsbuehl and Noerdlingen and there is no better model to start with than 'The Swords Tower' from Rothenburg by Faller:

I have spent many hours trawling through the Faller, Vollmer, Kibri and MSL websites for suitable buildings. From holiday photos it seems that Bavarian town houses have the roof ridges running fore and aft to the street, whereas most of the kits I have come across go from side to side but they have pantile roofs, multi coloured walls and timber framing, so I think they will capture the essence I am looking for.

My first building is a low relief house from Faller. This shows the true scale of The Swords Tower.

David

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Echos my own situation except I have a railway shed and in order to accommodate as much stuff as possible placed some garage type racking and in the middle are about kitchen unit height is the clear area where I have built my narrow gauge layout, I am quite interested by your Austrian style railway and I used to enjoy motorcycle touring in Bavaria and Austria also had a long time ago a week in Switzerland on public transport courtesy of Inter-rail just that few of us can do it all, just worried I am a bit neglecting the main oo railway too much!

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Received a consignment of A1 5mm foam board from Hobbycraft today. I have used this to mount the first section of Faller's 'Small Town' background - 900mm x 500mm. I secured it with 3M double sided tape along the top, bottom and middle. The small town is actually "Rothenburg ob der Tauber and I have walked along the path just outside the wall in the picture.

I also completed the second low relief house.

David

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 27 Sep 2020, 10:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...After a week at the dining room table which was uncomfortable, draughty and cold, the following weekend was spent clearing my
desk in the smallest bedroom. More clearances followed and eventually it was possible to reach the single straight uninterrupted
wall which would make a good location for an adjustable shelving system...
Progress on the town and rail scene looks great. BUT there's a thundering great elephant in the room! Is there no pressure from
elsewhere for a dining room improvements programme? We need to know what subtle technique has enabled you to prevent this
being made the priority for your constructive energy.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Among other things, my wife gives piano lessons and the piano is in the dining room which meant that my tenancy there was always going to be short lived. But there's still a problem as the room I now occupy is directly above the dining room and being a modern (ish) house, I get to hear a lot of what goes on.

Having lost just about all her other work due to lock down, my wife has been able to continue teaching 'willing' pupils via video so, after a few weeks, the idea of a garden office came up and that somehow morphed into a sound proofed studio.

The building work was completed a couple of weeks ago and the electrics hooked up last week. Professional piano removers shifted the piano and organ to their new home last Friday and the first lesson took place yesterday afternoon. Sound reduction has been measured at between 45 to 50 dB which meets the commitment made by the builders.

So the distraction technique was not particularly subtle. My wife likes trains and is particularly pleased with the theme as she too misses our visits to quaint walled towns in southern Germany.

David

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Rothenburg ob der Tauber - I have walked all around the walls and explored every street, first went there on a 4 wheel railbus which had a vertical engine in the saloon and had a constant mesh gearbox, it towed a trailer, really primitive engineering made a DMU look sophisticated (or multiple torture units - as I call them)

Lovely place so I approve of the backscene

Look forward to seeing more.

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (kristopher1805 @ 29 Sep 2020, 23:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
We all seem to have been there! When it comes to favourite old German towns/cities I would rate Regensburg and Passau higher.

Regensburg has old railway sidings in the riverside medieval port and hasn't been overly sanitised for tourists, squint slightly and you can rocket yourself back the middle ages. I happened to sit on a parkbench overlooking the Donau and by happenstance got into conversation with a retired German academic who had broken a strap on his sandal. He was shocked to discover that I had never read Patrick Leigh Fermor's account of his mid 1930s teenage walk from the Hoek to Istanbul, and practically commanded me to obtain a copy once home and read it all. But as a holding operation he described the outline history of the area, most interesting.

Passau is a complete riot, never got out of the old centre to see the railway facilities, just too much to see.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regensburg and Passau are certainly well worth a visit.
I don't remember seeing the old river port in Regensburg but we did find an old steam loco displayed near one of the locks by the Danube.
On our visits to Passau we didn't stray far from the old town either.

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The town grew during October

The residents now have a large church and a Gasthof.

One of the residents is having the front of their building painted

This is an attempt to show just how tall the church really is:

Next on the agenda is the Rathaus.

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the Rathaus. Of the many models available I chose Faller's model of the Rathaus in Lindau as we have visited Lindau a couple of times and have good memories of our visits.

The rear is almost as impressive

The market square might end up looking something like this

David

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
The Germans make really nice model house kits and a good range too, shame they are a bit small at 1 in 87 rather than our 1 in 76, even so they are very nice and I like the Rathaus it looks quite splendid, so overall a nice effort.

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 2 Nov 2020, 18:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...Next on the agenda is the Rathaus...
At this time of day (it was actually 11 am as I began typing, site is still on BST!) I would be majorly focussed on finding the best Konditorei in town, with intelligence gathering on the choice of Bierkeller for the evening repast. With that much prosperity in evidence on the Rathaus, this town must have some classy eating and drinking establishments. Happy days very successfully recalled!

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE The Germans make really nice model house kits and a good range too, shame they are a bit small at 1 in 87
That's part of the reason for this layout. I have fond memories of building some Faller kits in my early teens. I think I may still have the village church but the stork flew away long ago. Thinks - must get a stork's nest for the church - most towns around there have at least one. I think I have got some white wash to 'weather' the roof.

Konditorei - kaffee und kuchen - one of our favourite pastimes, although I don't remember visiting one in Lindau. There's a particularly good one in Garmish and if you are ever in Innsbruck and take the tram out to Rainer's Modellbahn shop, there's a rather good one at the other end of that block nearer town and the tram stop.

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No. It's on the main street, which is pedestrians only. There's a large seating area upstairs about half of which is outdoors. You just need to keep an eye on the weather. We've known it go from warm and pleasant to torrential downpour in about 30 minutes.

David.

·
C55
2,457 Posts
That sounds lovely and Garmish is delightful. I skied there for 3 years running, whilst taking care of the RAF recreational caravans, there. The barn I referred to was very Bavarian and I was foolish enough to consume all that was put on the table before me..... and drink a... few of the Steins provided by young lassies in 5 x handfuls. The resultant abdominal content was sufficient to raise doubts that the lungs had sufficient room to inflate enough to supply a survivable amount of the oxygen stuff. Clearly, I did manage to struggle to inhale sufficient, to be here writing this and a very clear message had been learned - never tried that since.

I would love to go back again, it is such a lovely place. Maybe one day, and then I can try the place you recommended.

J

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have now completed eight low relief Faller houses and have started to make up the pavement from Auhagen parts. The street cobble stones are also by Auhagen.
The DHL van is by Busch.
Access was a bit tricky which is why the focus is a bit soft.

In the RTR spirit of this layout all this is just assembling kits.

David

·
C55
2,457 Posts
It maybe a tad less than crisp, but most of the residents would completely recognise that - up to lunchtime, from the effects of the previous evening - any time after lunchtime, rather speaks for itself...

Not only have you captured the atmosphere of the place, but added the view from the perspective of the inhabitants, too.

Julian

1 - 20 of 120 Posts