Model Railway Forum banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Spring has finally arrived and the plane trees are now in leaf:

The town council have decided that the small green space at the foot of the access stairs to the wall walk is a bit bare:

So they have commissioned Mueller Gartenbau to plant a couple of trees. They're a bit late as spring has well and truly sprung but ...

And so as promised, two people. The brush is balanced against the tree in the background.

David

Reactions: John Edge

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
David it is really looking very nice. Did you make the trees or they premade. They do set it of nicely with a bit of greenery.
My set of Faller houses arrived okay with the Station. lot of work ahead. Still that is all part of the fun of this fantastic hobby. Babs

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
The tree trunk etc is from Busch:
https://www.busch-model.info/000006158.3?number=000006158.3

If you flip back a page or two you will see what they look like when they are bare.

For foliage I guessed from pictures online and chose this:
https://www.mininatur.de/en/news/shrubbery-956.html

It turned out to be shrubbery with many many support pieces underneath. I plucked them off one by one and teased the foliage into small pieces which I attached above and below the branch clusters using PVA. It took a couple of hours per tree, so I only did one per session.

I ran out before finishing the last tree so I've got some more on order.

If I was doing it again from scratch, I would try to get some of this:
https://www.mininatur.de/en/Silhouette-Scal...pring-1-87.html

As I haven't glued the trunks to the base, I am thinking of getting another set of trunks and then some of this for autumn:
https://www.mininatur.de/en/Silhouette-Scal...utumn-1-87.html

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Changing seasons and having different activities in the town square is one way of maintaining interest once the construction is complete.
There is also the possibility that my grand children will make up stories about the town's inhabitants but that's a few years in the future.

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Thanks SRman

Meanwhile a design office had been opened on the top floor of the 'greenhouse' like building. They must be traditional designers as they are still using drawing boards...

They better not be doing any 'secret' stuff as the office is overlooked by the wall walk.

The drawing boards are from Artitec, and there is a drawing on the board on the right. It looks like it might a drawing of a BR 218 class. I've heard there are some concerns about how hot the office might get in the summer.

The town council organised the annual May day festivities in the square in front of the Rathaus. Sadly not too many people seem to have turned up and there are no tourists with their cameras spending money in the local Bierkellers, cafes and restaurants. The council had hoped to have a brass band but they were all booked up for this year. Or maybe the dance troupe have not impressed with their Scottish reeling / American Line dancing / Irish Ceili style of dancing? Still it's a chance for the locals to get out in their 'Tracten' outfits and the drinkers seem to be enjoying themselves.

At the far end of town the railway has a problem...

A review of 'Zuruch in die Zukunft III' has convinced the civil engineering department that a more traditional bridge is the best way to cross that canyon...

David

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
A Bietschattel Brucke will cover that span at 1.1 meters long but the end abutments are poor and the bridge floppy, I used Hornby platform edging and additional box section to beef it up a bit

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I have considered that bridge but remembered your comments re 'floppiness' so I moved on to look at other designs.

Thanks for the suggestion all the same

David

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 3 Jun 2021, 21:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The town council organised the annual May day festivities in the square in front of the Rathaus. Sadly not too many people seem to have turned up and there are no tourists with their cameras spending money in the local Bierkellers, cafes and restaurants. The council had hoped to have a brass band but they were all booked up for this year. Or maybe the dance troupe have not impressed with their Scottish reeling / American Line dancing / Irish Ceili style of dancing? Still it's a chance for the locals to get out in their 'Tracten' outfits and the drinkers seem to be enjoying themselves.
David

Hi David,
These guys haven't had many bookings of late due to the pandemic, I'm sure you could hire them at a competitive rate

looking lovely by the way
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 4 Jun 2021, 17:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have considered that bridge but remembered your comments re 'floppiness' so I moved on to look at other designs.

Thanks for the suggestion all the same

David

Don't forget the guy who makes these

Also makes specials to order

Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
QUOTE These guys haven't had many bookings of late due to the pandemic, I'm sure you could hire them at a competitive rate
They seem to be doing alright despite the pandemic. I am watching avidly for a gap in their schedule.

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Not quite all the modelling on the shelf is a straight build from a kit. I wanted to try some of Juweela's pavers - https://www.juweela.de/en/products/scale/pr...r_grau_mix.html
for some free form pavements. You can see one of these in the left of this photo by the access stairway to the town wall:

The bricks are individually cast from plaster and can be filed and cut very carefully.

Having worked with them for a while I thought I could use them to build a low wall around the base of the large tree at the back of the church. The kind of wall you might sit on at lunchtime to grab a bite as you toured the town.

The brick laying does not bear close scrutiny but it will fine for a view from a distance. The wall is double skinned because I didn't fancy trying to balance the coping stones a single thickness of wall.

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Thanks Alan.

The station layout now has a siding for a goods shed. After a little bit shunting I decided that a headshunt would be a useful, particularly for giving the shunter somewhere to park out of the way when the main line diesel comes to take the completed goods train away.

The goods line is also the programming track.

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
The alley behind the church is now complete. Getting photos is difficult because it's too narrow for my phone to fit. I managed this view up the street. The new houses can be seen to the right of the gatehouse tower:

Meanwhile at the other end of the shelf the profile of the valley to be crossed has become apparent:

And by some amazing coincidence a set of Noch laser cut bridges and piers just fits...

And the first train crosses the bridge...

David

81 - 100 of 120 Posts