Model Railway Forum banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
That's good, particularly as there's reason for them to be in one place and not frozen in mid pace etc. Nice one David.

Julian
The alley behind the church is now complete. Getting photos is difficult because it's too narrow for my phone to fit. I managed this view up the street. The new houses can be seen to the right of the gatehouse tower:

Meanwhile at the other end of the shelf the profile of the valley to be crossed has become apparent:

And by some amazing coincidence a set of Noch laser cut bridges and piers just fits...

And the first train crosses the bridge...

David
By Gum You work fast David I think the cut out and the Bridge section works really well. I take my hat of to you. ( If i had one ).
Babs

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
That's looking great David
What a stroke of luck that the bridge just fitted across your valley :)
Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
By Gum You work fast David
Nice one, but it's not true ;). I mocked up the valley design with cardboard from delivery boxes which took quite some time. This is the desk where I work during the week so there has to be space for the laptop, mouse pad and additional monitor and space to rest my forearms so as to avoid tendon problems in my hands. I think I built the centre span of the bridge about two months ago.

David

Reactions: Babz

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Hi David,
It seems you have lost many pics from this post :(
I started on the tower roof section of the Historic Town gate (faller 130400) this evening.
Blimey, that really pushes your ridge tile fitting patients to the limit :LOL:
Also, don't know if you have illuminated yours, but I found I had to do a fair bit of additional masking with black card to eliminate light bleed through the tower walls.
Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Hi David,
It seems you have lost many pics from this post :(
I started on the tower roof section of the Historic Town gate (faller 130400) this evening.
Blimey, that really pushes your ridge tile fitting patients to the limit :LOL:
Also, don't know if you have illuminated yours, but I found I had to do a fair bit of additional masking with black card to eliminate light bleed through the tower walls.
Regards
Alan
Oh dear. I have edited the opening post and have put in the picture I think was meant to be there. I will work my way through the rest whenever I'm at a loose end. Just as well I created a separate gallery and the pictures are pretty much in date order there. This isn't the first time I've been messed about by computer based storage systems ;).

The ridge tiles on 130400 are a challenge. I knocked the top section off mine again a couple of days ago when I was reaching in to take some photos. Apart from the bell tower being fractured for the umpteenth time, one of the ridge tile pieces came off - that's how sparing I was with the glue in an attempt to keep it clean.

I haven't tried to illuminate mine as I wanted to finish it. As I haven't fixed the top part of the tower, I might be able to retrofit it but given your experience, I might just stick to exterior floodlights like you have on your castle.

David

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Hi David,
Yeah, the bell tower does seem very fragile. Not sure how I am going to incorporate it into my layout yet, but I just loved the look of the covered stairway and had to get it :rolleyes:
Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
That's a lot of wall....

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
This week has seen the completion of the street around the front of the church and the small town gate.

David

Reactions: Julian2011 and Babz

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I had taken the church and town hall out of the way so that I could work on the corner beyond the narrow tower. While they out I took this photo.

I am taken aback by how well proportioned it looks.

David

·
C55
2,456 Posts
I had taken the church and town hall out of the way so that I could work on the corner beyond the narrow tower. While they out I took this photo.

I am taken aback by how well proportioned it looks.

David
Interesting view of the composition of a living town, with all the parts that make a good living possible. All gradually developed over centuries, tailored to the area and people's needs.

As a cheeky aside... it's an interesting analogy to be able to reveal how much of the town life was, previously, smothered by the Church and Bureaucracy... :unsure:

Julian

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
I've been carving up leftovers from the various town wall kits to create fillers for the far corner:

And so the corner gets filled in:

The end terrace house is a new kit from Faller this year. I've not had a cat in a window before.

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
I got some Noch road racing cyclists today to remind of a group of friends at work who go out for 50k rides at lunchtimes..

David

Reactions: John Edge and Babz

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
At the other end of the bridge there is a junction from the branch line to the main line:

The main line will disappear into the tunnel on the right.
You will notice that the point has no ballast bedding under it. This is because rather than make a small fiddle yard, I decided to have a two track terminus and just to mix things up a bit, the station is raised above street level in the style of Berlin / Vienna S-Bahn.

The first part of the raised level is a Faller road overbridge kit. The track sits in a channel which hasn't the width or the height to deal with track with the ballast bedding. As the point overlaps the bridge by about 50m, the point has to be 'plain' and parts of the bridge have been cut away to accommodate the side mounted point solenoid and clearance for the DMU coaches.

While the station itself is a pair of Faller kits.

Thanks to the double slip the DMU shuttle can access either track.

Each section is 360mm long. The baseboard is about 10" wide so getting any more buildings on it is going to be a challenge.

David

·
Registered
1 Posts
At the other end of the bridge there is a junction from the branch line to the main line:

The main line will disappear into the tunnel on the right.
You will notice that the point has no ballast bedding under it. This is because rather than make a small fiddle yard, I decided to have a two track terminus and just to mix things up a bit, the station is raised above street level in the style of Berlin / Vienna S-Bahn.

The first part of the raised level is a Faller road overbridge kit. The track sits in a channel which hasn't the width or the height to deal with track with the ballast bedding. As the point overlaps the bridge by about 50m, the point has to be 'plain' and parts of the bridge have been cut away to accommodate the side mounted point solenoid and clearance for the DMU coaches.

While the station itself is a pair of Faller kits.

Thanks to the double slip the DMU shuttle can access either track.

Each section is 360mm long. The baseboard is about 10" wide so getting any more buildings on it is going to be a challenge.

David
Wow, I like your railway, now I am assembling a similar structure in my home office, a very exciting activity. :D

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
While at my desk this morning I glanced to my right and noticed that the morning sun had caught the BR 363 at the refuelling pumps.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts