Model Railway Forum banner
121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Administrator
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I felt that the station needed a small signal box and while I don't think this model from Faller is typical of what you might find in Bavaria, it looks about the right size.

Meanwhile work progresses on the concreted works area in front of the shed.

David

Reactions: John Edge and Babz

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Hvg now caught up with this thread, it is just brilliant. I am a big fan of Vollmer and Faller (and a sucker for their artwork) and have several to build but like you no space now on the layout. So this shelving system is a great idea, and also to display some of locos (just need to think of a dust prevention system. Re track, MSL had a big sale on track so I grabbed the last of the FL Profi track to use for display. Your imagination for positioning the buildings is really good and love the cameos of brass band, tree planters and also the Maypole. I also built the Bietschattell bridge and it is indeed fragile but once in place, what a structure - love it. Cheers
PS if poss, could you take a pic standing away from the shelves to give an idea of the space they use...thànks

·
Administrator
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
if poss, could you take a pic standing away from the shelves to give an idea of the space they use
The 'main' part of the layout. The length is about 8' 6".

And the other half ...

The shelf on the left is 10" deep.
The bridge section is about 5".

And the chair is where I WFH and at weekends it becomes my hobby workbench.

David

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
The 'main' part of the layout. The length is about 8' 6".

And the other half ...

The shelf on the left is 10" deep.
The bridge section is about 5".

And the chair is where I WFH and at weekends it becomes my hobby workbench.

David
Thanks David. And more fun hvg them out on display than sitting in boxes 🤗

·
Administrator
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
more fun hvg them out on display than sitting in boxes
Oh yes. You may have noticed my set of Rivarossi VSOE CIWL coaches clogging up the station on the left.
They are 'in transit' to the loft but it's nice to sit and stare at them sometimes when stuck for inspiration ...
Then there's the SLW class 24 on the upper shelf - it's nice to get that down for a quick run. As has been commented on elsewhere, the SLW is very satisfying to drive.

David

Reactions: Babz and reddo

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Oh yes. You may have noticed my set of Rivarossi VSOE CIWL coaches clogging up the station on the left.
They are 'in transit' to the loft but it's nice to sit and stare at them sometimes when stuck for inspiration ...
Then there's the SLW class 24 on the upper shelf - it's nice to get that down for a quick run. As has been commented on elsewhere, the SLW is very satisfying to drive.

David
I know what you mean David, I have some stock sitting on my rails even though its not fully wired just so I can enjoy what they look like. Ironically, I just found that DMU set in Bavarian livery after my wife sent me a pic of the std version while she was in Munich a few weeks back. I also really like your overbridge station; you say the first part is a Faller road overbridge but the rest looks v similar? And you hv some very neat staircases down to street level ie was it a different kit? Cheers

·
Administrator
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I also really like your overbridge station; you say the first part is a Faller road overbridge but the rest looks v similar? And you hv some very neat staircases down to street level ie was it a different kit?
The station is two Faller kits back to back - FALLER - Urban-railway station
Everything you see is from the kit.

There are several other kits to match - A plain viaduct - FALLER - Arcades with track bed
With small shops - FALLER - Arcades with shops
With much larger shops - FALLER - Arcades with shops and interior equipment

Each kit has the same track foundation and is 360mm long. Three kits was the most I could fit in the space I had available before the point and double slip and even then I have had to undercut the side of the bridge to fit the point motor.

I also got the Faller lighting strip for the station and will wire it up eventually.

David

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
The station is two Faller kits back to back - FALLER - Urban-railway station
Everything you see is from the kit.

There are several other kits to match - A plain viaduct - FALLER - Arcades with track bed
With small shops - FALLER - Arcades with shops
With much larger shops - FALLER - Arcades with shops and interior equipment

Each kit has the same track foundation and is 360mm long. Three kits was the most I could fit in the space I had available before the point and double slip and even then I have had to undercut the side of the bridge to fit the point motor.

I also got the Faller lighting strip for the station and will wire it up eventually.

David
Thanks David, I have 3 of those Faller canopies and also purchased some of the Vollmer viaduct sections a little while ago, ostensibly to use as a backdrop Vollmer 44500 Gauge H0 Arkaden modellbahnshop-lippe.com

I will use the Faller canopies for my main station terminus however I did also buy 2x these Kibri canopies back in 2018 which are alot narrower so I may look at the urban bridge and see if I can make it work FALLER - Urban-railway bridge and

Anyway, half the fun of this hobby is in the planning so all good. Cheers

·
Administrator
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
If you would like any measurements for the Faller Urban Railway bridge, let me know....

David

·
Administrator
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
As I mentioned elsewhere I had a delivery from MSL this week and I built it this morning. It's a Faller goods shed for the station yard:

The kit seems to be popular as it was in and out of stock so much at MSL, that I placed a reservation for it. Once I got the email to say it had arrived, I added the two Brawa wagons in the photo to make the carriage cost worthwhile.

The ramp in the track to the left is a solenoid operated uncoupler but I am waiting on a Roco accessory decoder for it - they are also in and out of stock a lot at present.

The station area needs some detail parts now to bring it to life but the major buildings are all in place now.

David

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Nice one David,
A quick check on my database and I see I got that way back in 2016; I think it was the loading gantry that sold it to me 😉 I like the Brawa hoppers, I bet they have cracking detail on them...I have a bit of a thing for hoppers and bought several Roco sets back when I started out. I am going to have them pulled by this which I got a few weeks back after seeing it on a TV documentary. Awesome machine https://www.reynaulds.com/products/Roco/73458.aspx

121 - 132 of 132 Posts