Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm quite new to model N scale railway modelling, and also new to this forum. I'm currently looking around for a twin track cased controller, and I'm a little confused regarding what to buy. It's not that the choice is hugh, however the controllers I've seen are quite expensive and I don't want to make a bad decision at this stage of the game. Could you please give me the benefit of your experience with the different controllers on the market.

So far I've seen the model D from Gaugemaster, the MPC3 from OnTrack Controls and the Morley controller. Does anyone please have any thoughts re the relative technical/performance merits of these models or any others I've missed?

Regards & Thanks -- David.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi David & welcome to the forum,

Personally, I would go for the Gaugemaster - they have a lifetime warrenty. Kent Panel Controls are also very good.

Whatever make you go for avoid any form of "feedback" controller on N gauge - they can make the motors overheat.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
H & M used to make good solid ordinary controllers. They may still do or they may have been taken over by one of the other firms mentioned, I don't know. Years ago I had their 'Duette' which was a good dual controller without feedback. You can pick them up at a reasonable price second hand. I've actually got an H & M single controller which I'm about to discard because I am changing over to DCC. It's probably 20 or more years old, as I bought it secondhand, but still works as it should do.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the project. Cheers, Robert.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
The original H & M was excellent - many people (including myself) still have 1 or 2 still working well.

H & M were taken over by Hornby who produced them to a different design, although the Hornby marketed HM2000 is supposedly pretty good. I always thought that Hornby bought them out just for the name & to get rid of the competition, although others may disagree.

There is a guy that remanufactures H & M ket but I'm not too certain about his contact details.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 29 Nov 2007, 17:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The original H & M was excellent - many people (including myself) still have 1 or 2 still working well.

Indeed I still have my trusty Duette - It's basically bulletproof and they still turn up on a regular basis at exhibitions. I also have a couple of Fleischmann Trafo controllers which are also pretty good.

Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts