Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
QUOTE (David Lay @ 21 Aug 2008, 02:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Inspired by Doug's excellent photos I have been converting my wagons to Kadees. For the Q1 I obtained a type 20 NEM coupler, but the NEM pockets on the model are too low. Fortunately the discrepancy is the thickness of the shaft, so some butchering of both the original coupling and the new one provided enough parts to make a stepped coupler as shown.

hadn't noticed it on my Q1 but will check - the same principal can be used for NEM mounts that are set too high (Bachmann Mk1's, Heljan 33s etc). Found that the rear coupling on the Bachmann standard 4 tank needed an extra deep step - use a stepped tension lock as supplied by Bachmann with the Mk1s etc as a basis for mounting the NEM

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Puzzled by this thread as my two Kadee fitted Q1s worked heavily on a exhibition layout without any modification of the couplings being needed. Sometimes a NEM Kadee may droop too low and as note above that can be fixed by sliding a suitable item (a metal offcut from an etching for example) between the underside of the Kadee and the inside top of the NEM mount.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.