Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an email from hornby today confirming that theyve dropped the black and gold cornish liveried wessex 153. I find this an amazing turnaround as this was a popular scheme with the truro cathedral graphics and gold celtic knotwork on the bodysides and they covered a wide area. I know quite a few modellers awaiting this particular model (i just wanted one seeing as ive spent half my life workin on the darn things). so on behalf of the penzance, par, exeter and bristol traincrew that wanted one, the devon and cornwall rail partnership who wanted some and the the west country modellers and even holiday makers that would have like a model of the train that took them to looe, newquay, falmouth, penzace etc, thanks hornby for dashing our hopes!!!

paul kray

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
Paul,

I wonder if it was the cost of the (very attractive) artwork necessary for this version that caused this decision? That could be a very expensive design and production job, and might have meant a significantly higher price, which Hornby thought the market would not bear.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I was under the impression they were having difficulties reproducing the livery and have delayed it till 2009, releasing an EMT unit instead.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i think they should make this class 153
make while how long people have been
waiting for it but if this comes out i would
buy this and also the first great western
local lines livery class 153 thats if they
ever release it

Daniel

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
While trying not to sound like a trumpet-blower for Electra Railway Graphics, I see he has a Cornish 153 livery though apparently will need some tweaking for the Hornby version when that comes out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Arriva Trains Wales one has become regional railways too looking at the new releases pdf. Bit of a shame, but I think I'll get them anyway - the units are so well-travelled I guess you can get away with all sorts of time periods/geographical areas.

Paul

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE (whoppit @ 20 Aug 2008, 20:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Had an email from hornby today confirming that theyve dropped the black and gold cornish liveried wessex 153. I find this an amazing turnaround as this was a popular scheme with the truro cathedral graphics and gold celtic knotwork on the bodysides and they covered a wide area. I know quite a few modellers awaiting this particular model (i just wanted one seeing as ive spent half my life workin on the darn things). so on behalf of the penzance, par, exeter and bristol traincrew that wanted one, the devon and cornwall rail partnership who wanted some and the the west country modellers and even holiday makers that would have like a model of the train that took them to looe, newquay, falmouth, penzace etc, thanks hornby for dashing our hopes!!!

paul kray

If the model in question is R2792 then the latest info on this from Hornby is that it has been delayed until the 1st quarter 2009 and will now be in East Midlands livery

Some Hornby 153s are now appearing in stores. These are the The Central Trains and Northern liveried versiond (R2756 & R2758) and the Regional Railways version R2759 may also arrive before Xmas -- just if it does

There is nothing about the Wessex version -- lets see if it appears in the 2009 Programme when it is announced on Jan 1st

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Daniel,

That is a very simplistic view.

The world economy has changed in the last couple of months for the worse.

People are going to be more focused on what the spend. Hornby have probably done the costings and the black and gold cornish liveried wessex was probably going to cost significantly more to produce than standard liveriey. Would people pay for it, 6 months ago yes, would they pay for it in 6 months time Maybe.

I would not say that it wont come out, but complex paint jobs are likely to be suspended until things get better economically.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts