Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
In depth idiot
7,733 Posts
Printed on curtains have been steadily advancing as a commonplace over the last twenty years in both the Hornby and Bachmann ranges.

There are some significant limitations: Hornby's very fine all steel K type Pullmans in original condition, not a curtain in sight, despite much other well rendered detail. That's because these cars didn't have curtains at the windows, but pull down roller blinds which were fully concealed if not deployed. Rather more difficult to deal with in model form...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi with all the modern technology I'm sure someone could make corridor connections between coaches the right shape out of soft sponge then you would have no gaps between the coaches . Just a thought , Jim

·
In depth idiot
7,733 Posts
QUOTE (kingjim @ 1 Jun 2021, 15:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi with all the modern technology I'm sure someone could make corridor connections between coaches the right shape out of soft sponge then you would have no gaps between the coaches ...
I experimented with this before close coupling mechanisms came along, on a mk1 train composed of Replica and Mainline models. It worked very well on the large radius flowing curves - think 8 foot radius minimum- of a garden line. So, simple eh?

Not so if you want the train to run through reverse curves, whether of points forming crossovers, or in plain track; and worse yet, even plain curves of under circa 30" radius with no transition to tangent track. It's what happens as the connector end plates move out of alignment with angles between the coach ends, inevitably the soft sponge forms wedges, and the restoring force to reliably get back into a straight line was too great, even with the slipperiest skid plates on the connector ends that I could devise.

That's where my experimentation concluded. I am sure that there's legs in this idea, but I didn't crack it; and just as I was able to go model railwaying again after a house move, what should turn up but close coupling mechanisms on new ranges of OO coaches! So I happily took up with that...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts