Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to puzzle out the instructions for the making of corridor connections in this month's magazine

I am not stupid but after I have cut the two strips (no idea what length these should be though) and laid them side by side as per figure 1 I find the rest of these instructions totally incomprehensible

Can anyone translate into simple English please

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I think the problem lies with Figure 1. Strip B should lie on top of Strip A, not below it. And the 'Trim Overlaps' is perhaps a poor description - 'adjust' might be a better description.
Figure 2 is a 'Perspective' view of Strip A being folded over strip B; it is not actually folded at an angle as the Figure suggests might be the case.

So the process goes, as I see it:
Initial:
Put strip B on top of Strip A at right-angles (90 deg) to each other.
Adjust the overlaps so that the top of A is 7mm above the top edge of B and the left end of B is likewise 7mm beyond the left edge of A.
Fold the bottom of A upwards over B, cut to form a tab 7mm high. Fold the Top of A down over B.
Partly fold the left end of B over the tabs of strip A. (Result = Fig 3)
Partly fold the right side of strip B over the tabs of A and cut to form a 7mm wide tab. (= Fig 4)

Repeats:
Lay Strip A between the two tabs of Strip B with 7mm above the top. (= Fig. 5)
Flatten the two tabs of strip B onto strip A.
Trim the bottom of strip A to form a 7mm tab, fold the top and bottom tabs of A, and lay the end of strip B from left to right between these tabs. Adjust and cut B to give you 7mm tabs each side.
Fold over the tabs of strip A completely, and partially fold the tabs of B.
Back to the start of the repeats.

At the end:
Having cut the strip A to size, turn it round and tuck it's tabs into the tabs of the last strip B to give you a smooth face.

Hope this is of help.

Regards,
John Webb

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
For some reason I think that extending corridor connections seems just as bad as the huge gap when using standard couplings. There is still that huge gap between the buffers.

Maybe, I'm just too used to european stock - after all close coupling mechanisms have been available since the mid 70's.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I thought I should add the comment that I think the article asks for the strips to be folded before cutting to size to ensure the folds are at right-angles across the strips. If the strips were cut into the correct lengths first, there could be the risk that the folds would not be at right-angles, leading to a wonky connection being built up.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Brian,

I remember fondly in the early 1990's when all my stock had guide mechanisms and close couplers just how different my trains looked with the buffers close together.

I could get an extra wagon for every 10 wagons without guide mechanisms in the freight trains.

Your right, what we continental modellers take for granted, others don't have.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for this guys

I will have another go

We have some friends coming round for supper (husband likes railways too), so I plan after coffee and mints to hand out sheets of A4 and have a competition to see who makes the best connections

How sad is that !!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think that the corridor connections are a great thing to have on coaches. I haven't done it myself just yet but I will be giving it a try. It's just the sort of thing that makes a model railway look that extra bit realistic. I'll let you all know how I get on in a day or two

1 - 7 of 7 Posts