Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I think the problem lies with Figure 1. Strip B should lie on top of Strip A, not below it. And the 'Trim Overlaps' is perhaps a poor description - 'adjust' might be a better description.
Figure 2 is a 'Perspective' view of Strip A being folded over strip B; it is not actually folded at an angle as the Figure suggests might be the case.

So the process goes, as I see it:
Initial:
Put strip B on top of Strip A at right-angles (90 deg) to each other.
Adjust the overlaps so that the top of A is 7mm above the top edge of B and the left end of B is likewise 7mm beyond the left edge of A.
Fold the bottom of A upwards over B, cut to form a tab 7mm high. Fold the Top of A down over B.
Partly fold the left end of B over the tabs of strip A. (Result = Fig 3)
Partly fold the right side of strip B over the tabs of A and cut to form a 7mm wide tab. (= Fig 4)

Repeats:
Lay Strip A between the two tabs of Strip B with 7mm above the top. (= Fig. 5)
Flatten the two tabs of strip B onto strip A.
Trim the bottom of strip A to form a 7mm tab, fold the top and bottom tabs of A, and lay the end of strip B from left to right between these tabs. Adjust and cut B to give you 7mm tabs each side.
Fold over the tabs of strip A completely, and partially fold the tabs of B.
Back to the start of the repeats.

At the end:
Having cut the strip A to size, turn it round and tuck it's tabs into the tabs of the last strip B to give you a smooth face.

Hope this is of help.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I thought I should add the comment that I think the article asks for the strips to be folded before cutting to size to ensure the folds are at right-angles across the strips. If the strips were cut into the correct lengths first, there could be the risk that the folds would not be at right-angles, leading to a wonky connection being built up.

Regards,
John Webb

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.