Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few photos of County Gate, a freelance layout of part of the proposed extension of the railway to Minehead.

hotel entrance

hotel terrace

County Gate good and coal yard

overall view of station

station closeup

East Lyn viaduct

East Lyn viaduct

East Lyn viaduct

Glenthorne Harbour

Glenthorne Harbour

more photos on
County Gate gallery

JdF

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Superb! I've pondered over this piece of work many times on the net and in my mags.
Given the modellers previous appointments its not surprising that this layout should be of top quality,this has been one of my favourites for a long time...great stuff.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here are some photos of the rolling stock

2 of the 5 Manning Wardles

'Exe' prior to painting

These are Backwoods kits, heavily re-engineered for better reliability

re-engineered Backwoods Lyn

Mallet 'River Avon'
based on two Bachmann class 08 shunters

Mallet 'River Brue'
based on two Bachmann class 08 shunters

Railcar 100 and River Brue

railcar 201 'Atlantic Airstream'

Glenthorne Harbour Authority Loco 1 (Hunslet Backwoods)

Glenthorne Harbour Authority Loco 4 (scratch built)

one of the two Glenthorne Harbour Authority 4-6-0 Baldwins

Glenthorne Harbour Authority No 2 (rebuilt Victor Sandy River kit)

Glenthorne Harbour Authority railcar (built from 3dPerfect coach etches)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Peter

We had a hell of a job operating it at Expong too...we were given so much less space than promised that things went from bad to worse. We are at a number of shows this year so you may get another opportunity.

regards
JdF

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Absolutely brilliant

Thanks for posting these photos

David

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (pilotfriend)We had a hell of a job operating it at Expong too...we were given so much less space than promised that things went from bad to worse. We are at a number of shows this year so you may get another opportunity.

I didnt want to say so but you all looked pretty flustered behind the layout. I asumed that the gremlins had set in!

I look forward to seeing it again (and getting a bit closer this time!)

Peter

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Expong was hell! Despite a very clear agreement concerning the needed footprint for the layout, the rear fiddle yard was pushed so close to the wall that we could not access it. You may have noticed that the layout is largely operated by a bunch of grumpy old men who should not eat quite so much! This meant that we could not reach even our track cleaning equipment and we were unable to do running maintenance, so operating got increasingly problematical!

Some of the locos were damaged (one beyond repair) due to the impossible working conditions.

The lesson learned by us was that if requirements have been agreed in writing by an exhibition and one actually finds on arrival that this is not the case, it is far better to pack up and leave rather than try to soldier on.

Since the untimely death of Dave Brewer of the Greenwich club, those left behind have a lot to learn about dealing with exhibitors!

Make yourself known to us next time and I shall make sure you do see the layout better.

these are our show dates for 2009:

April
18th & 19th Crawley Model Railway Society annual exhibition

May
16th & 17th Trainwest Melksham, Wiltshire
23rd & 24th Railex 2009 Stoke Mandeville Stadium, Aylesbury

June
13th & 14th Chatham and District Model Railway Club exhibition

October
23rd to 25th Eurospoor (Netherlands)

November
21st 22nd Warley Show NEC Birmingham

best regards
JOhn

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi that looks like a stunning layout John and as I will be attending Warley again this year I shall definitely be looking at this one.

Thanks for the excellent pictures.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi John,

Just wishing to add my congratulations on producing such a fine example of the railway modelling craft, truly artistic in execution.
I too have been following this project on the web and in print, I'm aware of some of your other fine work but the L&B is probably the line that does it for me - I've planned three layouts based on the line and then allowed myself to be diverted away from such plans, but would never (of course) have been able to produce anything remotely of this standard - that could well be why...
I have accomodation booked for the Railex weekend so I'm hoping to be match fit for that opportunity to see the results of your skill and artistry for myself.

Regards.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
I love this layout, i think the design and contruction is wonderful.... The entire model looks extremly real and has given me a real insentive to increase my modelmaking standard even more. There are not many layouts that can be said to be truly "a work of art" yet country gate easily manages that accolade!!!!

Havent managed to see it for real yet - i expect pictures dont do it justice and its even more impressive in real life!! I am extremly impressed with your foliage and fauna and your amasing buildings!

well done brilliant modelmaking!!!

Best Wishes,

Nikki

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are all very kind. Actually, at present, we are negotiating with a major gallery to display County Gate as 'process art'.
We shall see.......
regards
John

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi John

Never in the history of "Grumpy Old Men" have I seen such a layout.

Being well old enough to be a member of your Institute ( my wife says I already am!)and recently returned to this wonderful pastime, "County Gate" has inspired me, ney confused me, as now I don't know what I want to do next. Your scenery is ......what shall I say....... what many of us aspire to!

Are the backdrops photos ? They are very effective.

A super layout, well done.

Spottydog

·
Registered
84 Posts
1 - 20 of 62 Posts