Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There

2 Questions

1) Is there a standard height for tension lock couplings. I am wondering what height they should be set at on kit made wagons for use with Hornby & Bachmann engines and rolling stock?

2) Does anyone know where it is possible to buy NEM pockets - again for use on kit built wagons.

Any wisdom gratefully received.

Thanks

Keith

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Keith,

To answer at least part of your question, the post below (from this thread) might be just the ticket. Thanks to Doug, by the way.

QUOTE (Doug @ 3 Feb 2009, 08:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Take a look at this:

If you do something that is not on the list, let us know how you do it and we'll add it to the list for others to learn form your experiences.
Cheers,

Tom

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Hello Oz the Dog

1) Yes. The NEM standards are set by the European model railways standards body MOROP (who have a website with all the standards as PDFs - but most are in German and French only). The only slight snag is that while most of Europe (i.e. continental 1:87 countries) are proper paid up members and the European manufacturers comply with it, the UK not a proper member, uses a different scale (1:76?) and therefore it's quite hit and miss whether for example, one type of wagon can couple to another given the difference in heights...and that's just one manufacturer(! see Electric Nose's website for rather striking pictures etc.)...so it gets even more fun across the different marques. In Europe its a different story: Roco coupling height is the same as Fleischmann is the same as Trix etc. etc. The disadvantages of being in the middle between MOROP and NMRA standards for the UK I suppose...

2) I'm not sure but I know that Fleischmann did do some that could be attached. The NEM pocket is movably attached to a plate that you glue/bond to the underside of the wagon. Some plastic surgery might be needed...sorry I don't know the catalogue numbers!

I hope this is of some help!

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE 2) Does anyone know where it is possible to buy NEM pockets - again for use on kit built wagons.

I believe Parkside recently introduced some to their range - possibly part number PA34 - link. This looks likely but I haven't tried them myself so it would be as well to get confirmation before buying. If someone finds out if they work, I'd certainly buy a few to fit Kadees more securely to my Parkside kits.

QUOTE therefore it's quite hit and miss whether for example, one type of wagon can couple to another given the difference in heights...and that's just one manufacturer
As far as I know this variable height is restricted to this one manufacturer and the height of couplings on recent rolling stock are now correct?

I've not had any problems with NEM coupling box height on Hornby or Bachmann locomotives - steam or diesel.

David

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (dwb)As far as I know this variable height is restricted to this one manufacturer and the height of couplings on recent rolling stock are now correct?

I've not had any problems with NEM coupling box height on Hornby or Bachmann locomotives - steam or diesel.
Hello David

Many modellers will be glad to hear that! I gather it was a right fiddle to 'shim' them in the past...

What we really need is a global standards body for model railways - can anyone think of a daft sounding acronym??

W.S.R.S.W. = World Scale Railway Standards Wizengamot?!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have kadeed about 100 items of 00 stock which work well so feel qualified to offer a simple solution.

1. if there is a nem socket fit a 19 for starters to check the height against a KD gauge.

2. if its ok thats good, it is only necessary then to decide on the length 17-20. That depends on buffer length and layout radii.

3. if a it is a little high it can be shimmed down with a sliver of plasticard between the chassis floor and the nem pocket. The length can be selected as above and the job is done.

4. If its way out hack the whole mounting off flat to the chassis floor, get an assembled #5 and tack it to the floor. Ditto if there is no NEM pocket. Offer it up to the height gauge and decide how much plasticard shim is needed. Glue it on with the shim and set the coupling forward or backwards a little to get the KD hook the right distance clear from the buffers. Job done.

I don't bother to mess with NEM sockets which are way out as it is simpler and cheaper to start from scratch. I also have never needed to bolt #5's on as I find glue holds OK with 20 wagon trains.

Andrew

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE 2) I'm not sure but I know that Fleischmann did do some that could be attached. The NEM pocket is movably attached to a plate that you glue/bond to the underside of the wagon. Some plastic surgery might be needed...sorry I don't know the catalogue numbers!

The Fleischmann short coupling mechanism does not have NEM-pockets. The mounting for the (height adjustable) coupling head is a so-called "Schwalbenschwanzführung". Coupling heads with a matching coupler pocket are available for the Fleischmann and roco short coupling systems, for the roco universal coupling system and the international standard coupling system ("Bügelkupplung"). As far as i know, there are no matching coupling heads for the british hook couplers and the Kadee system.

Btw, the mechanism is rather expensive. In case of retrofitting short coupling mechanisms (or just the NEM pocket), I would prefer the roco coupling mechanism no. 40343 for four-wheeled wagons/coaches and the Gützold 01170 (=Symoba no. 111) for long coaches with bogies. Both mechanisms include NEM pockets, which in case of the Gützold and Symoba mechanisms may are height adjustable.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
The FLM conversion does give close coupling but only uses the FLM Profi coupler.

Roco do conversions which give close coupling & a NEM pocket.

For further details send me a PM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts